Blog Entries

Sidetracked by Cows

I'm trying really hard to devote more time each day to mediacollege but I'm afraid I let myself get sidetracked last night and it's turned into another short-term job. I shouldn't have done it, especially because it turns out that I could have just let someone else do what I did.

A big current item in the New Zealand news is the possible introduction of freestall dairy farming. That's the type of farming common in Europe and other places where cows live indoors. For reasons I won't go into this type of farming is an anathema in New Zealand. It's hard to explain without knowing the whole situation and it's best if I don't try.

This isue is very close to home for me and I feel strongly about it, so I started a Facebook group opposing the plan. The group touched a nerve and got 3,000 members in the first 24 hours, which is pretty big for little old NZ. The upshot is that I'm now being inundated with messages and related tasks. I don't know how long this will go for but it's likely to eat a fair bit of my time over the next week. If it's still going crazy after a few days then I'll consider handing over to someone else.

So that was a dumb move on my part. It won't happen again - next time I'll just post a comment somewhere suggesting that someone else does it. On the plus side it's been an interesting exercise and I've got a few tips to share about starting a big group fast. I'll put them in a blog post later.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Everyone gets sidetracked - for instance, I'm meant to have done several questions for Physics by now, and I've barely done 3 or 4, because I'm constantly distracted by something. If it's not music, it's cameras. If it's not cameras it's email. If it's not that it'll be something else. Maybe food... mmm... food...

See???

James

Raising 3,000 people in 24 hours? - this sounds more than a sidetrack to me! Real talent - can I see your price-list regarding to the corresponding services? Another social marketing pro. is coming!

(or a provocateur, you name it, heh)

..."getting sidetracked" is more than my name to me whole different story.

p.s. I have used the unused slot for TAGS in this post

regards;
    Last edited by kunter; 8th Dec 2009 at 16:23. Reason: I always re-edit!
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Quote: kunter
    View Post
    Can I see your price-list regarding to the corresponding services?
    Huh?

Blog Entries
    Quote: lake54
    View Post
    Maybe food... mmm... food...
    See???
    Yeah - this work and eating business really cuts into my sleeping time!!!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Once I had been sidetracked by "cows" too, it was 1996 or 97.. I had written an email to ask for TUCOWS to come to Turkiye, and they had called me in return - in a month - we've had a running decent TUCOWS mirror in this country (and region with whom they had the connection through us)..

the sidetrack is, the whole mirroring part - it was not what I had been supposed to do I remember - (which had caused a great deal of headaches following the delay). The trouble is I'm not a good learner when it comes to taming the bad manners in me. With the years passing by I'm in control of myself better than before, this is true, but this is only awareness: I'm the same person who had those mistakes years ago and there is no reason (technically) I wouldn't make them repeat again..

God is great, I wish he'll help (make ME I'd get the help for myself).

- - -
    confession sessions at mediacollege
    - - -

p.s. James, is that a *coughing* ? "Uhh Huh Uhhu" It's cold outside, make sure you are wrapped up well.

best regards; :-)
    Last edited by kunter; 9th Dec 2009 at 02:04. Reason: I always re-edit!
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Blog Entries
    Keep working at it Kunter, it's a worthy goal to control one's temper We all struggle with it sometimes!

Regarding my social networking skills, well, I really don't consider myself an expert and I don't think it's a service I'd want to offer commercially. I'm pretty good at it but the group's topic is such a contentious issue that it was always going to be popular - the main thing I got right was recognising the opportunity and acting fast. Anyway, thanks for the ups!

The group has now reached 12,600 members in three days. It's gone nuts. I've got everyone from politicians to celebs on my case, not to mention the usual mix of radical fruitcakes from extreme ends of the debate. I've got another admin on board which helps, but there's a closing date for government submissions next week and there's going to be a fair bit of work to be done until then.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com