Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi James

A supposedly pro camera with just a single CMOS sensor is not a good start in life. You would be far better off with a used 3 chip CCD camera that can handle low light. Although it's supposed to be an entry-level events camera I have found that even when a subject is lit reasonably well the results are not great!! My biggest concern was the video noise. Yes you can assign the iris to the focus ring and control the exposure and over-ride the gain but it will be hard work indeed. At an event where lot's is happening you really do need a camera that you can switch to auto and shoot when you don't have time to make exposure corrections.

My old MD10000's were excellent in low light!! Yes, in auto too!! and cost me just on $1000 each. However you have to remember that it's a 4:3 SD camera!! I shot many weddings with my pair in very low light with excellent results despite the fact that the camera has only 3 x 1/6" chips (CCD) In auto you could yet the gain run to 18db with the iris full open and still get nice blacks and no video noise!! I have a buddy who bought one a few months ago and he shoots live bands in clubs and his footage is excellent!!! However you have to live with the 4:3 format!!!!

Stay away from "super night shot" and "0 lux: claims they are just gimmicks with not real practical use for events!!

Chris

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi Chris,

I honestly can't find any used-condition CCD cameras that are anywhere near the new-condition price of the Sony. If you can find any sub-1000 CCD chip cameras in the UK please let me know!

I think in a way it's better that I would have to manually adjust exposure etc, as at the moment I just leave it on auto on cameras that I use. It'll teach me a fair bit I reckon.

Also, looking at some unbiased test videos on the internet, tests in dark places seemed to look alright, again considering the price.

I think for my stage in the game it's a good starter camera, especially for the quality of events I would be filming. I mainly film when the alternative is a mobile phone, so even if there was a bit of noise, people would prefer the overall (HD) quality when comparing it to raw mobile phone footage with questionable audio.

In regards to aspect ratio, I'd prefer to try and start off in 16:9 anyway, as 'we' are generally moving that way, surely?

Anyway, I doubt I'd be buying it for a long long time yet, as buying it as part of a package (HC batteries, tapes, tripod etc) is still out of my league!

I was looking at the finance from my preferred company, and the only affordable option that I could pay myself charges 29.8% APR, so it's not a fantastic deal in my opinion, but something I am looking at.

James

I see you've almost already had this discussion :-D

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/wedding...ny-hd1000.html

Sorry for the triple post - just found this site which has a Panasonic AJ-D410AE (with a lens!!!) for under 2000!!! Plus it comes with 3 batteries and a rain cover. Now, is it just me or am I missing something here?

Professional camera, lens, batteries, accessories.... ????

http://www.mitcorp.com/public/view_i...-+-3-batteries

James

James have you ever thought about the canon XL range? you will find one of those cheaper, plus good in low light and nice interchangeable lenses

Tom

To be honest they're not much cheaper (new) than other cameras, although I'm sure I could pick up an XL1 series second hand for cheaper than I'm looking at.

Also, I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the look of it. I know it's weird, it's just the look of it puts me off. Maybe it's the shoulder pad, I don't know, but it just doesn't look right to me.

James

It has a nicer look than the HD1000, that one has a real plastic look and feel, but I suppose what ever floats your boat.

I get what you mean, but personally I prefer the larger look - I know you shouldn't judge things like this on looks, but personally I prefer the HD1000 based on looks, even though it's a far inferior product to the XL.

Remember though, I'm on a really really really small budget!

James

Hi James

It seems that you have convinced yourself already????

If you do get one then you will need lots of light if you shoot indoors!!

I guess one plus is the older HDV format is a lot less demanding on NLE's that AVCHD.... Vegas 9 handles HDV with ease but struggles with AVCHD on my DuoCore!!!

Admittedly if the camera was a "lemon" Sony would have withdrawn it!!! Do yourself a favor and read the forum below..there are a few guys there with good hints and tips!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/

Chris

It seems that you have convinced yourself already???? If you do get one then you will need lots of light if you shoot indoors!!
    I know what you mean Chris - unfortunately it's because it really is the only one that's within my price range 'new', and the older cameras that are available, for example 2 x DSR 200s for 1100 in total will come with batteries but no other accessories. I'd rather spend more on a new camera that isn't fantastic (remember I'm only starting out!) but has accessories to match it. If it helps, this is the dealer I'd be buying from, with a list of the packages available. I was thinking of package 3 but swapping the LANC for the wireless mike in package 5.

http://www.proav.co.uk/packages/Sony...4_pc16769.aspx

I guess one plus is the older HDV format is a lot less demanding on NLE's that AVCHD.... Vegas 9 handles HDV with ease but struggles with AVCHD on my DuoCore!!!
    As it happens (re Vegas) if I get one of the packages through the dealer, I can get a free copy of Vegas 9 - nice eh?

Admittedly if the camera was a "lemon" Sony would have withdrawn it!!! Do yourself a favor and read the forum below..there are a few guys there with good hints and tips!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/
    I read one of the threads on that forum (link) and all in all they say it's a decent entry-level camera, which 'works' in good light.

I know I might have already made up my mind but you never know, I might win the lottery (in fact that's impossible as I don't play... but you get the idea hopefully!)

Also, I notice kunter has gone very quiet...

James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12