Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Good Day,

I am trying to record an hour long service with music, drama, and speaking. I have a Panasonic DVX-100 camera and am getting the audio directly out of a Yamaha M2500 sound board via the matrix. After the recording, I am downloading the recording on a Mac and trying to burn DVD's and stream video on the web. I am using i-moive and i-DVD. I am encountering many problems. The quality of the video is good not great. The audio is another story as is the computer work. As to the audio, everything the soundman put in as mono, I don't get. ie. bass drum, snare, toms, bass guitar. And the difference between the audio signal for the music and the speaking is huge. The computer work is time consuming. I am a novice and feel way in over my head. I do make progress each time, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

Blog Entries
    Don't get discouraged. You're taking on a lot of stuff there and I wouldn't expect a novice to be able to pull it off. It's going to take time.

I think the first thing to do is try and simplify things so you can deal with one problem at a time. Can you record the audio using a simple external mic for now? I know this may not be ideal, but it is a lot less complicated and there is less room for problems. I don't know how fussy your audience is but I've found that most people are quite happy with the audio off a mic. In any case, simple mic audio is preferable to desk audio which is missing things.

Computer editing is always a slow process when you're learning. It probably doesn't help that you're doing an hour-long show - it would be easier to start with a shorter project. I don't know much about i-Movie and i-DVD, but I believe you should be able to make acceptable quality videos with them. They aren't very advanced applications though so don't expect too much from them.

Let's go back a step....

The DVX-100 is a nice camera so you should be able to get good quality video. Let's concentrate on that first. What exactly is wrong with the quality? Can you describe the picture? Is the quality poor as soon as you import it to the computer, or does it get poor when you edit it?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and encouraging words. I think most of the video quality problems occur with my lack of knowledge about the camera. I know the DVX is capable of doing a lot more than I am doing. Low light parts of the production, colour, lighting available, and movement of the subjects are just a few of the struggles.
    I did run into problems compressing the video, the quality gets poor ie jerky movements.
    I might have solved the audio problem. Instead of coming out of the matrix and grouping all the signals together. I am going to try coming out of the monitor and then I should be able to adjust each signal individually. And, it shouldn't matter if the signal is mono, stereo, or LCR.

Thanks again for your reply,

Richard,

Dave,

If you would like, check out the video and give me your thoughts. www.meaningfulchurch.com There should be 3 videos availible for viewing.

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

So is the video looking bad while still on the camera?

Check your shutterspeed and aperture is that A/E ???

you might have to open up more in poor light. Auto might help you for now, but it's the same principle in still photography.

Maybe during editing you might have to specify the frames per second on the timelime - 25f/p/s vs 30f/p/s?

Dave help me, Im not sure if Im talking rubbish here

Maybe you could be a little riskay and get a second camera on the case... if the thing is an hour long you will need a second camera i think.
    Last edited by Relievo; 3rd Jun 2005 at 02:49.
    If I advance, follow me. If I stop, push me. If I fall, inspire me.

Blog Entries
    Richard, unfortunately I don't have time to look at the videos right now but in about a week I will have completed a big project and I'll have some spare time. I'll definitely have a look then and get back to you.

In the meantime you might like to go through our camerawork tutorials. Good video starts with good camera work so that's the first thing to get right.

Thanks Relievo for your contributions to the forums so far. Great to have your input
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com