Preloader to Streaming video

I just completed the streaming video tutorial from Media College, it was quick easy, and informative. Thanks!!

Some of my large videos take a while to play (80-100mb), is that too big? I cant get them smaller without making them look rubbish, I used Premier. I guess I will have to look at the "Media Colleges Premier tutorials" next.

My Question is: How can I get a preloader on my streaming video? Just so people know the video is loading?

Check out my site if you wish www.relievo.co.uk

It's my first website so be gentle! Only some of the videos work so, you will be able to tell straight away which ones.

Great Site, love it!!
    ~Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote: Relievo
    I just completed the streaming video tutorial from Media College, it was quick easy, and informative. Thanks!!
    Thanks back at you

Some of my large videos take a while to play (80-100mb), is that too big?
    Yes, for all but the most determined users it will be miles too big. Sorry but I think you'll need to compromise somewhere.

I guess I will have to look at the "Media Colleges Premier tutorials" next.
    Unfortunately we don't yet have much in that section which will help you.

My Question is: How can I get a preloader on my streaming video? Just so people know the video is loading?
    You can't make a preloader with Windows Media in the same way that you can with Flash, but showing the status bar is good enough IMO. Almost everyone knows that "Opening media" and "buffering" means that something is happening.

You just need to make sure you're showing the status bar in both the object and the embed tags, i.e.:

<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="true">
    and
    ShowStatusBar="1"

Check out my site if you wish www.relievo.co.uk

It's my first website so be gentle! Only some of the videos work so, you will be able to tell straight away which ones.

Great Site, love it!!
    ~Steve
    Your site looks fine. Well done on getting your videos on the net.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave,

I have been looking into putting a Gif file infront of the WMV file. I tried it, but it looks terrible, I dont know enough about java just yet.

How do you know so much about so much??? You look too young, to have all this knowledge! hehe..
    If I advance, follow me. If I stop, push me. If I fall, inspire me.

Blog Entries
    I airbrushed my avatar to hide my age

One way to get a preloading effect would be to make yourself a very simple "Loading..." graphic and make a 10-second video clip of it to add to the start of your main clips. If the graphic clip is very simple and static, this would make the first 10 seconds of the video load faster than normal and the message would appear like a preloader.

I have no idea how well this would work but I think it would be worth a go. In about a month I intend having much more time available to work on things like this so I might do a few experiments. In the meantime if you have any luck or more ideas, let us know about it.

[edit:] I've just realised this is exactly what you were talking about with your GIF. Sorry, it's late here and I'm tired . Maybe try using a JPG or PSD file instead of a GIF.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Re: Preloader to Streaming video

Hi all

Flash Video MX Supports custom beginning and end you can set your picture or flash swf file as the background of movie prologue, and you can set your picture or flash file as the background of movie epilogue , you also can add texts with stunning flash text effects.

more info on http://www.flash-video-mx.com

Re: Preloader to Streaming video

I liked your website also. I do have a question for you. How did you get that 360 degree picture thing on there. Is is a program, or a code, or how did you do that? Thanks!!

Owww... sorry, i have been away for a very very very long time.

I have been busy doing nothing, 3 steps forward and 9 steps backwards etc.

My site is dead for now until I remember how to do HTML or Dream weaver.
    360 thing you ask? Hmm... I had a quicktime piece of kit that knitted the images together, then I 'think' I uploaded it as a quicktime movie?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/qtvr/
    If I advance, follow me. If I stop, push me. If I fall, inspire me.

I have been looking into putting a Gif file infront of the WMV file. I tried it, but it looks terrible.