Hello From the UK

Hello

I'm new and from the UK. I'm a freelancer and also teach TV Technology on a degree course and thought I'd join this forum as I'm always directing my students towards it. I'm also a member of [link removed].

Anyone else here from the South West region of the UK?

Happy New Year

Blog Entries
    Hi tilski, welcome to MediaCollege.com. Sorry the link in your message got removed - in order to reduce spam we have a rule preventing new members from posting links.

Thanks for directing your students here and it's great to have you on board as well
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi tilski,

I'm from the North West - what college/uni do you teach at?

I'm 16 at the mo (17 in three weeks!!!) and am studying 'normal' A Levels, nothing to do with media, but I have a vested interest in becoming a cameraman in the future.

James

Blog Entries
    Greetings from across the pond, tilski. Hope you'll find this as a useful resource. And Happy New Year to you too!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Good to be here. I'm based down in Exeter. I've never met a camera man with a Media A Level or Media Degree. Most of the guys and girls I've worked with did languages, politics and science. Not saying that Media courses aren't valid just that there are a million and one ways of starting of in this game.

Helps if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone

You catch my drift?!!!!

I hope to be successful as a freelancer as well. I just joined and I've already learned, or reviewed, a ton of useful items.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    haha I do indeed 'catch your drift' :-D

Would you say experience is more important than qualifications etc? I know the answer is 99% of the time yes, but if you're young and inexperienced?..

Get as much experience as you can. You don't need to offer your services for free in exchange for experience. Try and get them to at least pay for travel and lunch. You really ought to have a showreel too. A lot of my students believe that after they leave uni they are going to walk into a media job. It just doesn't work like that most of the time. Whilst your a student you should be gaining as much experience as you can. That's the whole point of being a student!!!

Qualifications do matter but they don't always count..... if you catch my drift.

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    haha I do indeed 'catch your drift' :-D

Would you say experience is more important than qualifications etc? I know the answer is 99% of the time yes, but if you're young and inexperienced?..

Being "young and inexperienced" are all relative terms, James. I'm young and deadly inexperienced despite how old I am in web development.. I'm still learning and I don't see how to make it stop.

Welcome Tilski, I'm glad we're growing in numbers. This website is for those who want to teach, to show the tricks and solutions. As for the others, they already stop by every day, connecting to website, finding what they want, and going as freely as an electron in Hydrogen atom.

One more word to james - everybody can become a cameraman.. teach me how to get around to it, I'll become "one" in no-time.

But you will become a "cultured" professional with flairs and vision thanks to your beyond-the-surface sight and in-depth knowledge about the most aspects of this business. A good fundamental is a solid basis, required even for every farm, let alone the skyscrapers; if you catch my drift.

best regards;
    Last edited by kunter; 4th Jan 2010 at 04:25. Reason: I always re-edit.
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege