Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Super Cardioid Camera Microphone - ebay listing advice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Cardioid...item2a03947600

It's second hand, donated to charity - for under 10, look any good?

James

Blog Entries
    For that price?!?! It's always worth a shot, imho & no pun intended.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Haha OK I'll see if I can get it.

Have you any idea what connection it has? i.e. XLR/Mini Jack?

I can't find this Ferguson company anywhere on t'internet.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, no idea about the connector... HOWEVER - apparently, Ferguson was one of the biggest video manufacturers in the U.K. and there was a Ferguson tape machine, which never reached the states.

I like reading up on this to see what was happening in Europe during this era because I'm somewhat familiar as to what was happening in the US.

http://www.transdiffusion.org/emc/techmark/baird.php

You'll have to do more digging James since you'll probably have better access to other articles now that you know WHO they are.

Happy Hunting!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi,

I've actually won the auction (first one ever!) and it should be on the way to me now.

I've been told by a musical friend that it has an XLR connector, so that should be good for me :-D

Good to hear about Ferguson, although I'm amazed that there's not more on the internet about them. As long as it works, that's good enough for me for now :-)

James

Got the mic yesterday. Plugged it into my laptop mic port, worked perfectly fine I think.

Connection is 3.5mm, extension cable of I'd guess 3 or 5 metres, but going to get a converter to XLR 'just in case'.

The mic itself is a telescopic metal pole, about 60cm in length fully extended, with a loose windjacket on the end (only a bit of foam, standard sorta thing).

At the end of this, AA battery goes into the base, held in place by screwing the mic pole in, base has a screw to go into a camera, or alternatively into a metal base which can have 3 stabilisers screwed in.

All seems to be well so far :-)

Actually, just been trying to record some stuff onto my computer, seems to be dropping out on a particular word - will try on my laptop in a bit, but hopefully just a glitch on my computer!!!

James

Blog Entries
    That's good news James I hope you really did find that rare treasure bargain.
    SC358

I do hope I have :-)

Quick Question: Assuming it was far enough away to ensure no distortion, would this be suitable for recording audio from a gig? Mate at school has asked me if I want to film a gig in which his band are playing.

Visually should be a-OK, audio, not too sure on.

James

Blog Entries
    That's hard to give you a definite answer. I'd have to assume at the proper distance of mic to speaker, your camera's AGC should be able to take care of the levels. If it's possible, do a test recording while the band is warming up. At least you'll know what it sounds like. I highly recommend using headphones to distinguish what the mic is actually picking up.

If there is an audio mixing board, maybe you could get a direct line feed to your camera. Hopefully all the instruments are going through that mixer. Check your levels again coming from the mixer.
    SC358

Hi James

More than likely it will blow you out of the water !! My Rode Mics on my cameras are attenuated to -20db and then also dropped another -20db on my XLR input to be able to handle loud DJ's at weddings...a band is LOUD!!!

I played in one for many years!! A feed from the board is ideal BUT remember it's a line input and standard camcorders don't have line input ..those with XLR however do normally have them. I can switch mine to line or mic

The answer for bands playing live (if you can't get a feed and the level is too high) is a drum mic!!! They have a low output and work well.

You can also try reversing the mic on the cam so it points away from the band...often reflected sound is plenty loud enough but the quality may not be there!!

If you cam has manual audio you can also set it down to around -40db ...try and see!!!

Chris