A good first video camera...

I need advice on selecting a video camera for simply gaining some experience.

There is no way I am going to buy a $3500 professional High-Def camera this year, although there are some $1500 that are more within my reach. However, I am wanting a camera that will give me some shooting experience and good practice. I have some experience using a Canon GL2 miniDV at school, and I have made some really good shots.

I'm checking out some consumer models in the $400-$800 range that shoot 1080p, but also conscious of the fact...you get what you pay for. This wouldn't be good for my video services that I want to offer...I would need at least the Canon GL2 for that.

I own a video camera...but I shudder to call it one...a $99 Insignia 720p Piece-of-****, that doesn't do too bad when I have adequate light. I am going to use it in my faux instruction video on audio and video cables, so I can get practice with Premier Pro CS3.

Any suggestions?

Hi Mars Dragon

If you want an HD camcorder that's on a par with the GL2 then you might have to look at a prosumer camera. Also if you are intending to use it professionally, then "client respect" is always an issue. Taking a tiny consumer camera to a wedding places you as "another guest" rather than the wedding pro!!

I'm partial to shoulder mount cameras so I have 2 x HMC72's which do a great job. If you want something around the size of the Canon then you might want to rather look at Panasonic's new HMC40 as the next step up with Canon will be out of your price range!!

Chris

I am eventually going to buy an "entry-level" cam like the one you suggested (and a nice one, too!). To be professional grade, the camera has to have manual controls, and also help me get some business. I don't plan on using a consumer model professionally, for the obvious reasons.

I just need a camera (doesn't necessarily have to be 16:9) for me to gain some practice until I buy one of the Panasonics or Sonys.

Thanks, Chris! Nice to meet you!

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi Mars,

I'm in the same boat as you - although I've made some headway and started saving up for 'a camera'. I actually started a thread a week or two ago about the Sony HD1000. Me and Chris batted views between each other, and I think really we've settled on the fact that it's a high end consumer camera, inside the body of a professional-looking case. It's kind of what you're looking for, and for the camera itself, no accessories, it's 1000, which is roughly $1600, so double what we can both afford :-D

I have more or less settled on getting this camera in a package (tripod, batteries etc), but have also bitten the ebay bug, and found a Canon XL1 for an absolute bargain, and it has loads of accessories with it. It might be worth looking on there yourself, see what you can find :-)

Regarding Chris' Panasonic camera, my only pet hate is that fact that it just looks horrible - but I know that it produces far better results than the comparatively better looking Sony. As we all know looks aren't everything, so apart from the looks, the Panasonic is a better camera to go for if you're not bothered about looks.

James
    Last edited by lake54; 4th Jan 2010 at 12:58. Reason: grammar issue

I had a feeling you would cave into the XL1 lmao. Make sure you go for the XL1s its a tad better.

Tom

Yeah I've seen the XL1s about, but compared to the XL1 it seems to be that much more expensive that it might not be worth it. The XL2 is definitely out of the question

And I haven't necessarily 'cavid in ' it's just that it seems to be pretty much the only camera on eBay at the moment :-)

James

Nice cam though, it will do your work justice, is this the one by any chance:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_593wt_1167

It is that one, yes. I think I might leave it though, as you can see there's already two bids, and it's gonna be way more than that, especially if they're serious.

Comes with some nice extras, worth keeping an eye on until it finishes, the price is still decent. Its only down the road from me in Ipswich lmao

My friend still has an XL1 but his is an early model and is only 4:3 format!
    Does this model have widescreen or did that only appear on the XL1s

They are excellent cameras with nice lenses too!! You just need to get used to using only an EVF as the XL's don't have an LCD screen (I find on my Panasonics that I use the EVF more than anything!)

Good luck on the bidding...here the XL1 goes on eBay for around $1500 on average so it shouldn't go much above 750 ..if it does then look elsewhere!!

Chris