Still cameras that shoot 16:9 ???

Hi Guys

I was just wondering which DSLR's can shoot a widescreen format that will match most HD TV's now??? Most of the older cameras still shoot in much the same format as film ie: 1.5 :1 or even 1.333 :1 whilst a still image that suits a TV slideshow really needs to have an aspect of 1.777 : 1

I can obviously shoot wide stills from my HD video camera which are 1920x1080 but that's a mere 2.1 megapixels resolution. If I want higher res pics where I can maybe zoom and pan in a slideshow I have to use my DSLR which is only 6 megapixels but has a nice resolution. By the time I've cropped the top and bottom to get a 16:9 still image it's quite tiring and you lose a big chunk of your carefully composed image.

Any ideas???

Chris

Hi Chris, my apologies for the long absence, have been traveling quite a good deal these last few months.

As far as I remember, Canon's 5D Mk II can record stills while shooting HDvideo, but I am not too sure if you end up with a 2.3 shot.

However I do know that many compact digicams have the option of shooting 16:9 jpegs, notably the Canon Powershots, the new digital IXUS 300 HS. Trust that helps.

Cheers!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Chris,
    Believe the Sony A700 has a 16:9 stills shooting function:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra700/

Haven't tested it out though.....
    Let us know how you get on!

Hi Chris, I've had the opportunity to run a test video on a Nikon D90 with a Voigtländer 58mm.

The result was fantastic! Will post a link soon...
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

Yes you have been away a long time!! Thanks for all the suggestions but the Pansonic Lumix range all shoot 16: 9 format as well as standard and they will match my HMC cameras also!! Just needed something for DVD Cover stills without having to crop the image!!

Chris

Oh... the LX3 or perhaps its replacement?

Oh btw, here's the video

I shot it on all fours using a Nikon D90 with a Voiglander 58mm SLII lens opened wide at f1.4, ISO1600 (or more) as it was shot on a dark night after a drizzle. I was fiddling with the focusing.
    Last edited by nagar; 9th Jul 2010 at 09:05. Reason: add video
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Nice
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com