Thread: ESPN 3D Cameras

Blog Entries

ESPN 3D Cameras

For those doubters who questioned my sanity when I said 3D would be the Next Big Thing after HD

To be fair we're a long way from converting promises into mainstream adoption, but in the meantime it's nice to look at the cameras...

I want one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hey Dave

Panasonic have already launched their 50" 3D TV and LG has some coming in May

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/espn-...n-network.html

I have do doubt that we will soon see a domestic 3D camcorder out.

Do you still need glasses with the 3DTV??? or does it split the image into left and right for you???? No need for glasses would be awesome!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Panasonic certainly looks like they're taking 3D seriously. Check out their proposed new 3D production system.

It looks like this generation of 3D will still rely on glasses. Although someone (Panasonic?) did release a TV without glasses, it was crazy expensive and didn't last.

There are a few different delivery systems being touted now but the most popular one uses LCD shutter glasses (Wikipedia). While the display screen rapidly alternates the left & right views, the lenses in the glasses are alternately darkened and lightened. Synchronisiation is most often achieved by IR or bluetooth. The result is that each view is only shown to the correct eye.

It's going to be an interesting year ahead as these TVs are rolled out. I hope it's going to be great but I'm a little worried about the relatively widespread reports of headaches and nausea.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave

The Panasonic system will indeed use glasses with high speed shutters but at 100 fps here. Essentially what what I read, the TV displays the left camera image and the right shutter on the glasses closes then the TV displays the right camera image and the left shutter closes...100 times a second so your brain is fooled into seeing a 3D image. One would assume that you would have multiglasses channels on the TV so more than one person can watch TV???

I doubt whether they will be affordable at this stage to us mere mortals but the concept is interesting...I would suspect that we would look at speciallly made 3D programs to start with!!

In 2000 in South Africa, the local station there broadcast highlights of the Olympics in Anaglyph 3D (you had to have red and green glasses) but it was still very neat!!! They also broadcast a bunch of BBC documentaries in 3D and they were quite effective.

If you search YouTube for Anaglyph 3D there are a lot of clips there and you can make a simple mock 3D movie also from single camera footage too!! I did one of my wedding ceremonies in 3D and it looks cool and the depth perception is excellent ...if you have a hour to spare try one..easy to make and quite fun to watch!!! There is a tutorial on YouTube on making a 3D movie using one camera with Sony Vegas.

Chris

Blog Entries
    I mentioned the same thing a few months ago, Dave . No one seemed to be interested in the discussion.

Since there are no 3D standards, the different manufacturers are doing their best to create one to lock in the masses. I think eventually, HD screens will eventually turn to 3D/HD screens. Japan has been moving towards Super or Ultra HD which is approximately 7600 ◊ 4300 pixels about four times as wide and four times as high and is about 16 times the pixel resolution of the current standard. The biggest pusher for the 3D experience will be anybody involved in games - yes, the gamers will be spearheading it and the rest of us will just get the ripple effects. I believe we wonít see big changes at the consumer level for the masses until prices come down for a new 3D/HD screen. With new technology for the screens, thereís no need to use the glasses.

The cheapest way I saw the 3D from a business point of view for an immediate audience capture, was on a Blu-Ray disc, HD screen and with the shutter type glasses. The only expense in most cases will be for the glasses and itís interface.

In regards to personal experiences of people feeling sick, it will happen because itís all subjective to the individual. I believe it has to do with eyesight. Whether an object is close (or far) either in reality or 3D, the person who uses corrective glasses would still need them, while those with good eyesight can easily adjust to close and far objects. I think it is this strain on the optical system which causes these problems.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Wow looks nice indeed.

Just one question though, from an operational point of view - how does/can the operator in the picture provided see the 'true' picture, if theoretically you need the glasses to see the 'full' picture - yet he isn't wearing any?

Or does it display just a standard 2D representation?

James

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies. To be honest I don't know what sort of display the camera operator is looking at but I assume it's standard 2D.

I'm working on some 3D articles which I hope to publish in a couple of weeks but I've got another job I need to keep on with for the meantime. I'll let you know when I've finished and hopefully get your feedback.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com