Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Filming Permission Query

I filmed an event in December, a Christmas Party, and I agreed with the organisers that footage would be acceptable to upload to Facebook. I also got hired by the entertainers (provided DJ and other bits and bobs) to use footage of them from the night in a promotional video.

Before the party, I posted on the Facebook event wall a 'warning' saying to let me know on the night or beforehand if they didn't want to be filmed - noone came to me on the night except one young lady, but she didn't get 'caught' anyway.

During the party, I put 3 A4 posters around the venue - you're talking a really small size, it was a small place, with say 50-70 people in - one on the bar (which is probably only 2 metres wide, not even that), one just by the toilets, and one on a main table. This is the document I made and used: click here (PNG image, 1280 x 800)

The highlight video of the main event was uploaded onto YouTube, and everything has been fine.

The first draft of the promo video for the entertainers was also uploaded onto YouTube (but set to private for now till it's finished).

I'm part way through editing the next draft, hopefully the final one before it's finished, and I've been told by the 'leader' of the entertainers that one of the DJs doesn't want to appear in the main event reel, and because some of that footage is used in the promo video, I've got to find some footage without him in to use.

I've 'privatised' the main event video temporarily until I can resolve it, but can I confirm that I'm in the right here? From what I can see, I've done everything right

Oh and by the way, I filmed the event for free, as I was invited originally anyway, and the promo video I'm doing I was initially doing it as my last 'free' project, but they've offered to pay anyway, but as of yet not paid anything.

Cheers for any answers/opinions!

James

Blog Entries
    I don't think the answer is so cut and dry. There's many issues in regards to privacy, entertainment, semi-public/semi-private events, etc. You would probably have more right to post your video if you were not connected to the event and unpaid. A client/vendor relationship requires very specific do's and don'ts/cans and can'ts/will and won'ts, which was what happened to you. This is all the more reason why contracts are highly regarded.

In truth, both sides are highly arguable, as to who has the rights??? Well (sigh) I'm sure precedence has already been set, just who has the resources and time to research?

This topic does have it's place because so many here in MC are involve with specific situations of capturing/promoting/advertising/ownership etc. Just this thread alone can have it's own forum due to individual local/county/states/national/country rights.

So in order to satisfy your work, the organizer and the DJ, if you really want to use the footage with the DJ, try using a heavy de-focusing or mosaic effect so that they're unrecognizeable.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    I get you

How I hate red tape and all the associated problems

I'll leave the blurring out as the video was pretty poor anyway, so it wasn't a great loss.

Do you know if there's anywhere in the UK with guidelines etc for things like this? Should I try the unions etc?

James

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the unions in the UK - I have my doubts that they would be involved. I think you would have better luck in the legal departments of a broadcaster or in the field of entertainment.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.