Help Select Camcorder and Video Format

I am trying to make a decision as to what my next camera and video format should be and the more I look and research the more confused I get. Will you please help me?
    I currently use a Sony TRV310 NTSC Digital 8 camcorder that has served me quite well, but it is 11 years old and won’t last forever. The local “Fun Channel” owner has seen my footage and says the resolution is outstanding. I edit with Magix Movie Maker Pro 15 which I love and the two work well with each other. I don’t shoot weddings but have in the past with a Panasonic SVHS camera which I sold. I might start back, with the proper gear, however I am 71 and don’t know if I want to jump back into the fray. I basically shoot for my personal usage, but do work for others, such as, family reunions, mission trips, church programs, and memory videos for birthdays, wedding showers, and for funerals. I covet the Canon high end of camcorders as my ultimate, but am I being foolish to buy that much of a camera when a consumer level will possibly do me as well? I have a friend that bought a low end Canon for about 300 dollars that looked absolutely great when I uploaded the footage on my machine.
    1. Should I stick with digital or switch to HD?
    2. Will the two work well together when editing?
    3. Will a consumer level camera work as well?
    4. Should I stick with a camera that uses tape?
    5. If I get a Hard Drive or SP card will it already be compressed to mpeg2 format when it stores it there?
    6. If so what will the quality be? Can it be compressed further?
    7. What other things should I be concerned about?

Hey malibujock

Thats great that you have decided to come back, digital 8 is a good format, how ever you will find it difficult to get a new camera in that format nowadays. Regarding the SD/HD question, certainly HD is the way forward and you can pick up some really great quality consumer and pro HD cameras that can acquire to tape and SS disk. HDV for example allows you to film HD footage to a standard miniDV tape. The only thing to consider is HD will need quite a bit of beef in post, its much messier to edit and needs a good system behind it. There are also some really good SD cameras out there too, I think Sony have just introduced the PD175 which is a great camera if its anything like the PD170, but it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. At any rate, miniDV seems to be a very popular choice for format acquisition, some pro specs allow for DVCAM too (Sony). I have never used a camera that uses a hard drive or stick as its media so I can't comment on the quality, but I believe capturing it to you editing system is quicker as it just mounts as and external hard drive on your computer, whereas with tape you have to capture in real time. Consumer cameras can also produce just as good picture but are much more fiddly if you are wanting to get to the manual functions, ie shutter, iris, focus etc.

Hope this helps a little

Tom
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Hi MalibuJock

I had the very same issue last year. Except I was shooting on MiniDV tape but only in 4:3 format.

If you want to combine footage you will probably have issues with 4:3 and 16:9 (HD is also 16:9)

My situation was that I needed a fast workflow that was much the same as before without having to buy a faster computer. The Panasonic range of HiDef cameras have the facility of being able to shoot in HD and Panasonic have a "transcoder" available too from their website (free)
    This allows you to shoot in HD AVCHD format onto a card and not only convert it back to widescreen video in Standard Definition BUT also convert it to SD 4:3 !!!

If you are just doing family and frien'd events you could get away with one of the HD compact models which are easy to use and take up little space. I have the HMC72 cameras (2 of them) for weddings but I use them professionally... I would definately look at this option just using one of them sub $1000 cameras so you have easily match new and old footage without big costs!!

Chris

Help Select Camcorder and Video Format

Thanks Tom and Chris for the posts. They will help me considerably when I make my decision. Sorry to take so long to answer but I am having cataracts removed from my eyes. One this week and one in two weeks, so that is throwing kinks in my computer time. Will post back to you when I make a decision which will probably be awhile.