Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Recording onto P2

Hi,

If I shoot onto P2 cards, can I just plug the camera in via FireWire and drag the files off onto my computer as they are?

I'll explain later!

James

OK just to explain a little more...

I've been asked to film 3 music videos for a group, and they've got a fair bit to spend, and the camera I was looking to hire is a Panasonic AJ HPX 301 - a nice bit of kit. I chose it because they wanted it done pretty quickly (P2 was my first thought) and everything shot in one week, as well as being HD.

I'd also like to know what you charged when you started out, as I don't want to go in too low and undersell my 'services', nor do I want to scare them away!

It'd also be helpful to have a look at a sample contract. I've found one for this type of thing on the internet, but, as I'm sure you know, it's a boilerplate sort of thing, which may miss a lot of vital things out.

Cheers for your help - this is my first proper paid project!!!

James

Anyone?

Blog Entries
    I haven't worked with any P2 but yes to your question. Your computer system should recognize the camera as an external drive. I suggest you import the files with the edit software rather than click & drag.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise you on your other questions/topics. Good luck with your first gig.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey James

P2 is a completely different format to edit with too!! What I would suggest to download a Panasonic transcoder from the Panasonic Global site so you can get the files into a workable format!! All the transcoders are free but they only work with Panny cameras!!

Chris