Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My camera :-)

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

My camera :-)

I've now "acquired" a Sony HD1000 :-D

I've been messing around with it all day, and I can safely say that this camera will be perfect for my needs. I've set up the menus so that they suit me, and I've settled on mainly using the control ring for exposure, when needed.

I'll be honest - the footage is a tad grainy, perhaps, and the low-level lighting isn't perfect, but neither are most cameras.

Certainly, for me, for the price, and for everything else, this camera is perfect.

I'll post some test footage soon, but for now it's saving up for the important accessories - main ones being tapes, a tripod, light, and a proper charger.

James

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you're going to have some fun.

BTW did you ever get your showreel together?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hey James

That will keep you busy!! Congrats too!!!

A simple video light with LED's like on my DIY site is all you need to stop the video noise getting excessive!! Mine cost a mere $50 to make and it gets used on every wedding I do!!!

We look forward to your comments

Chris

Cheers Chris :-)

Now, I did DT a year or two ago, and a small amount of electronics... I'd rather buy off the shelf than risk me blowing myself up or the camera lol

But yeah, it's a nice camera, certainly outside in the light it's going to be fine. Inside, even in a fairly 'bright' room with normal lighting, I was having to put exposure towards the top end, which obviously isn't ideal.

One quick question regarding shutter speed - I'm assuming this doesn't use up more tape, but does it improve the chances of getting better, say, slow-motion effects? What I mean is, as the shutter is theoretically capturing more frames per second, does that extra detail mean it should have more detail to work with in the edit?

And as the speed increases, this will undoubtedly decrease battery life, correct?

I've now ordered 5 more Sony HDV tapes (to a total of 6) and a Kata OMB 77 bag - I figured that if I'm going to be getting more kit in the coming months, and I'll mostly be working alone, I'd rather have one, large, cumbersome-ish bag, rather than 5 smaller bags which are difficult to carry. It was a toss-up between the Kata CC 197, the OMB, and a Petrol PCUB-HD.

After I've regained some sort balance in my bank account, I'll be looking into getting a tripod first and foremost, then a light, then possibly some headphones? I've got a set of earphones, which are in my terms "high quality" (Sennheiser) but obviously not entirely ideal for monitoring professional audio.

In terms of headphones, I think it's going to be quite awkward to be honest - the way the HD1000 is 'built' means the VF is very close to the body, and as such I reckon when it's shoulder mounted, if I'm wearing 'true' headphones, it simply won't fit, and my head will either be tilted, and/or the mic will pick up the scratching. I know you can get sort of studio operator headphones with just the one earphone, but they tend to be more expensive than cheaper typical style headphones. Actually, scrap that statement - just been looking, found a decent-looking one for a shade under 100 quid - Beyer DT102 - any good? And if so, should this adapter work correctly? - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=34199

Alternatively, should I save my money and wait till I have enough for a proper microphone (or even wireless GP2s?)

Advice!

James

Hi James

Apart from high speed sports stuff, let the camera choose the shutter speed and if you are in manual just adjust the iris!! No, your tape speed is always constant regardless of shutter speed. With the Sony as long as you give it the right conditions, you can probably shoot on auto most of the time!! Too many people are so absorbed with settings that they tend to neglect the content they are filming!!! At weddings I probably shoot on auto more than anything except if I have bad backlighting conditions that need manual iris...the general rule is to create conditions that suit the camera rather than let the camera struggle in poor conditions!!

I have never spent big $$$ on headphones..as long as they are not just earplugs, most will work fine and give you an idea what the audio sounds like..you don't need top of the range unless you are in a studio setup.

I would still go for a 'hot' mic like the RodeVideomic to start with...(I use one on each camera) but if you are doing events where people need to be wired for sound then a radio mic lapel system is an essential!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    James, this page may help you understand shutter speed and the relation to tape speed and frame rate (basically there isn't one - shutter speed and frame rate are independent).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

@Chris

Cheers for clearing the shutter thing up. I'll stick it on the default :-D

Regarding 'earplugs' do you mean standard MP3-bundled ones? If so, they're similar to them, just not bundled. It's a very slight older model of these. Basically those :-)

With audio, I'm trying to get people to record audio for me via mixers etc if they're being used (just to simplify things). I will definitely invest in a wireless though. The camera has a bundled mic with it - is the VideoMic that much better?

@Dave

Cheers :-D

@Rest

Got 3 projects lined up for now then :-) 3 music videos (awaiting confirmation, but I'm pretty confident!), recording a catwalk event next month some time, a music festival event thing in May, as well as assorted music gigs for some bands. Should be good experience!

If anyone has a copy of a contract which they'd be willing to share, I'd be most interested!

James

Hey James

I'm not sure how useful a wedding contract might be but you are welcome to grab my "wedding kit" from my index page and use some of the wording there if you think it suits your needs. (It's the last page of the PDF file)

http://www.weddingvideoswa.com

Regarding the Rode Videomic.. it makes a HUGE difference!! I do "guest interviews" at weddings while they are having their pre-dinner drinks and even in a noisy environment the Rode gives me clear audio !!! Just make sure you get the Mark 2 model that has built-in attenuation pads so you can drop the level to -10 or -20db ...Mine goes into one XLR channel and I find I need to attenuate -20db whereas a normal on-cam shotgun mic was useless!!!

Chris

Cheers for the link Chris :-)

I'll look into the Videomic, but it's not on the top of my list just yet :-) Tripod most important at the mo!

Just been told I've been filming my school drama production as well. Good few hours in there, although they want me to film on a Sunday too :-(

Mind you, I hope they understand I don't have a tripod yet... eek.

James

EDIT: Does anyone know if DVInfo are quick at approving members or not? I registered on Saturday, wanting to post about my new cam, and I've sent two emails in the meantime, no response, no approval :-( - ideas?
    Last edited by lake54; 27th Jan 2010 at 17:04.

Hi James

They took absolute ages to do me!!! If you have nothing after a week then try a re-register and see what happens or try another email to Chris Hurd..I think he is quite busy!!!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast