Adaptor Question

Hi - New to the forum and looking for some help. My daughter is to be married in February. I can use the hall in the 55+ park where I live but need help with the sound system. On the stage there are several connections that are 3 pin male microphone connectors. I'm wondering if there is any type of adaptor I can use to hook up my iPhone via this connection. I think it will be only a mono feed, but I guess that's OK. Is there anyway to accomplish this?
    THANX!

Blog Entries
    Certainly it is possible to connect the iPhone's headphone output to other equipment, although the recessed socket can be a pain.

But the real issue is to determine exactly what those connectors on the stage do. You say they are male connectors which implies they are there to send a signal, not receive it. It's quite possible they are intended for foldback or something else. Can you find out whether or not they are actually designed to take a signal input for the sound system, and if so, where exactly do they go? (e.g. to a sound mixer? What model?)
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

In the U.S., system installers had a habit, for many years, of using wall-mounted male XLR connectors as inputs. Female connectors are vulnerable to vandalism two ways: 1) jamming toothpicks or other things into the sockets, rendering the connector inoperable, and 2) breaking off the push-to-release tab, thus trapping a cable when it's plugged into the connector. Male connectors do not have these problems.

Most people have decided now that the inconvenience of keeping two kinds of cables (F-F to plug into the wall and M-F for extensions) outweighs the benefits, so wall-mount inputs are almost always female now. But there are still a lot of old systems around.

In other words, those male connectors probably are mic inputs. If you can find someone locally who knows about this stuff, they can provide you with the proper adapter to connect an iPhone.

But if the system is that old, it's probably not very good. What do you intend to use the iPhone for? If you want to play music, you may be better off renting a separate system and connecting the iPhone to that. The agency you rent from will be able to show you how.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that info Karl. I also agree with you about the system itself. At the very least you'd want some time to test the system thoroughly at the same volume you intend to have on the night.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Yup. That goes for any gig - never assume it's going to work. When I do seminars, the venue usually has projector, computer wireless mic and P.A. system. But I bring along a complete system of my own, so I'll have stuff that I know for sure interfaces with each other.