Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Adobe Creative Suite 5

I read somewhere (I think it was on DVInfo) that Adobe CS5 will need min. 12GB of RAM

I know from personal experience (I work in an IT shop) that when I started a year or two ago, most average customers needed 2 gig max for a standard setup. Now, they're being supplied with 4 gig, and some 'super-users' 6 gig.

I don't know what you guys use, but I believe CS4 works pretty well on a standard editing rig (say, 4 gig, decent graphics card, 32 bit or 64 bit). If they want to set the minimum at 12, they're a) alienating a massive amount of people, and b) obviously using bloated software - it's lazy programming nowadays with the cheapness of RAM - remember when 256MB was a rarity???

Wow I feel old saying that!!!

So yeah - truth or myth? 12 gig min limit? I think myth, but if it's true, it's a poor business decision.

James

Blog Entries
    Adobe has confirmed that all future versions of premiere Pro will be 64-bit only (OSX 10.6+ or Win7+). I haven't heard the 12GB minimum spec and I'd be surprised if that was true, although Adobe does seem comfortable with targeting Premiere Pro at higher-end workstations.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they put out a high RAM spec just to stop people complaining. I've heard a lot of people moan because Premiere doesn't handle their projects well, but it turns out they are trying to render multiple layers of ACVHD with all sorts of effects on a 32-bit machine with 4GB RAM.

I'm also picking that Adobe is sniffing blood in the battle with Final Cut Studio. After dropping the ball badly when they abandoned Mac support, and playing catchup for years afterwards, the CS suite is coming within striking distance of Apple's suite. If I was in charge of Adobe I'd be pushing Premiere Elements for the consumer market and Premiere Pro at the Pro market. I reckon most of the Pro market would be okay with minimum specs of 64-bit/12G RAM over the next couple of years. If you're used to paying Adobe software prices, the hardware prices aren't too much of a shock
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Soon everything is going for HD 1280 so that needs a lot of RAM to render and a lot processor power my editing experience Premiere will have to competive with others NLE and We will have to pay the price to have it

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Adobe has confirmed that all future versions of premiere Pro will be 64-bit only (OSX 10.6+ or Win7+). I haven't heard the 12GB minimum spec and I'd be surprised if that was true, although Adobe does seem comfortable with targeting Premiere Pro at higher-end workstations.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they put out a high RAM spec just to stop people complaining. I've heard a lot of people moan because Premiere doesn't handle their projects well, but it turns out they are trying to render multiple layers of ACVHD with all sorts of effects on a 32-bit machine with 4GB RAM.

I'm also picking that Adobe is sniffing blood in the battle with Final Cut Studio. After dropping the ball badly when they abandoned Mac support, and playing catchup for years afterwards, the CS suite is coming within striking distance of Apple's suite. If I was in charge of Adobe I'd be pushing Premiere Elements for the consumer market and Premiere Pro at the Pro market. I reckon most of the Pro market would be okay with minimum specs of 64-bit/12G RAM over the next couple of years. If you're used to paying Adobe software prices, the hardware prices aren't too much of a shock