Thread: Subtitle

Subtitle

Hi Everybody.
    When I face some troubles or need to know something I enter here.
    Now subtitle of a video program at the editing table. Pls help.
    I dont know the rules to set subtitle for a video program. Is there any specific rule which I've to maintain such as the placemant of the text line, length, font size, color etc.
    Do I have to place the exact (same) text line under that same voice? For foreign language it is not possible always.

Can anybody tell me some rules or about any site
    from where I can know?

Thank you all

Blog Entries
    Quote: modak
    View Post
    Is there any specific rule which I've to maintain such as the placemant of the text line, length, font size, color etc.
    Do I have to place the exact (same) text line under that same voice? For foreign language it is not possible always.
    The first question is, how or what will the final show be displayed on - flat screen, big screen, 4:3 crts? Based on your answer determines where the subtitle will be. Basically, placement is the most important rule. You would need to follow the Safe Title Area (for the final display type) of the character generator when doing subtitles. This in turn limits the length of the line.

If you want to know specific rules/regulations, you'll have to find the specific group or body of whether government or non-government run, that your country follows. In the United States, there are bodies that are non-government that create most of the television standards, guidelines and engineering practices (for example, Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers, also known as S.M.P.T.E.) But what good is having rules without enforcement? In this particular case, it is the Federal Communications Commission, a.k.a. F.C.C.

Font type, color, size, are not regulated, at least here. Mostly, font size has to do with how easy it will be to view. It's not helpful to put a whole sentence on the screen and the viewer cannot read fonts that small. Or if it's too big, the line change occurs too rapidly, making the reader feel rushed.

I found it helpful when subtitles are placed near the speaker or if the font is different from another character.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thank u.
    This'll work.