recommend video camera

hi,

I'm looking to buy a video camera soon. I just don't know where to start. I've been out of the video camera game for a while. I'm looking to pay about $500 or less. I was thinking of getting one with an HDD and preferably HD. Is HD quality recommended? or anything under that still good?? Any help would be appreciated.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi bood2010

Is this for professional usage, or consumer/home use?

If it's for home use, I'd recommend looking at the Canon range of handheld cameras, they have some good reviews, and they are generally good value.

If it's in a professional capacity, then I'd say you'd be definitely looking at second hand. You'd be hard pushed, however, to find an HD/HDD camera for that sort of price even second hand.

HD is definitely recommended these days, as that is what we will be using a lot more in the future. At the moment, as I'm sure Chris will point out, most people are only capable of watching SD movies, but the HD footage can still be reused in the future, for example of a wedding, and bring the greater detail to the people involved.

James

An Older HDV Camcorder

Quote: bood2010
    View Post
    hi,

I'm looking to buy a video camera soon. I just don't know where to start. I've been out of the video camera game for a while. I'm looking to pay about $500 or less. I was thinking of getting one with an HDD and preferably HD. Is HD quality recommended? or anything under that still good?? Any help would be appreciated.
    I agree that HD is the way to go, as SD is quickly becoming a thing of the past. On your budget, I wouldn't limit myself by the storage medium, i.e., HDD, but rather get the camera that will do the trick for you. You also have to consider the other costs of going HD, such as the cost of new non-linear editing software that will handle HD, or the cost of upgrading your computer to handle HD (if it doesn't already). My own preference, but I hate H.264, AVCHD, MPEG4 (any of the MPEG4 family of compression) for high definition. It is way too compressed. In your cost range I would look at maybe an older HDV camera, such as a Sony HC1, which you may be able to pick up for that price. Good luck in your search!

Max