Video Editing Advice

Hello,

I have been struggling to find a forum that is used regularly that offers advice of all kinds on video editing (hopefully I have now found one).

I am 21 years old, and im deeply interested in video editing. On an amateur level I have been doing little bits since I was about 14-15 years old, mostly at the time for games. But my love of it has now evolved alot. Originally I started on windows movie maker, then tried sony vegas, and most recently I purchased a macbook pro with final cut studio 3. I am just getting to grips with the program, and I can see already its incredible.

Anyway, i'm sure I will ask questions on that suite later on, but I also wondered if anyone here had any tips about how to possibly break into the video editing industry. I am not afraid to work hard at it, I know it wont be easy, but I just wondered where is it that someone like me starts?

I didn't go to University at all (mostly money issues). Can anyone offer ANY advice what so ever as to where to start, where to go, what to do.

Many Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hi Chairmaster, I've previously written a couple of articles that may help a little here and here.

You're off to a good start - getting experience with these programs will help. Perhaps you could look around for some interest groups such as video clubs, or see if there's any volunteer work going at a community TV station.

You need two things: Experience and contacts. Get to know people who know other people... sooner or later one of them will offer you a break.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks alot for the reply dave, those links were very informative!

Unfortunately where I work there is very little in the way of video production and nothing in the way of local TV stations. I have emailed the 3 video production companies in the area but they have replied saying they are very small scale and aren't offering work experience etc.

I am however moving to Reading hopefully some time this year so have done a bit of research into the film/video/tv studio's up there however I imagine I have not found half of the ones that actually exist.

Are there any lists of possible recruiters in the Reading area, I would be willing to scrub toilets if it gets my foot in the door! Unfortunately though I cannot afford to work for free.

I have also read alot about becoming a runner being the best way into the industry... is this true? It does seem like a ridiculously competitive way into the industry. I however do have ALOT of customer service experience having worked in customer services in some form since I was 16 years old working from tesco's to lloyds tsb and now the council. Is that beneficial?

Sorry for the many questions lol!

Good communication skills and like-ability is always a good thing to have. You don't always have to be a runner to get into the industry, if you are good and you get your work out there right it should all fall into place. Persistence is key.

Tom

p.s. like the changes Dave

Blog Entries
    Agreed, you don't have to be a runner. On the other hand if that's the only opportunity you can find, at least it's a foot in the door and some times that's enough. It's about knowing people in the business and making those all-important contacts.

BTW it's a good idea to be working on a showreel.

And thanks Tom
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

When I finished year 12 in Australia I knew I wanted to start my career in broadcast Television. I rang the local station every day for 3 months straight "I want a job, please give me a job". After 3 months I broke them and was offered a my first job in the industry...loading and programming the machine that played the commercials to air. Once your in, your in and it's easy to find your way to your passion. After a year of that moved departments and started editing promos, TCV's and news stories (in those days we edited on 1 inch, reel to reel). I moved states 2 years later and became a promo producer for Pay TV, then a Network station. I stayed in broadcast for just over 18 years...now own and run a video production company and still use the same crews as I did in broadcast. The message here is don't give up...go for what you want. Find the right person and show them your keen.