new camera budget 4500

Hey guys I work for a small production company in the UK, we produce information DVD's that we sell nationally.
    However lately I've been getting a few contracts outside of work, I've been doing most of these so far with my works camera which is a Sony DSR-570WSP with a CANON YJ20x8.5B4 KRS SX12 lens.

I've just got the dates for my next pieces of filming and some of them are clashing with when the camera is being used at work which means I wo'n't be able to use it .

So as you will have guessed I'm looking to buy a new camera for personal use, my budget is around 4500 i'd prefer a shoulder cam but not too fussed, it'll need to be PAL, capable of 16:9, at least the same kind of quality as my works cam and if I can for the budget (probably not lol) preferably be HD (i'd like to move away from dvcam).

Anyone got any ideas I'd really appreciate some help.

Blog Entries
    Definitely go HD, and I'd recommend shoulder-mounted as well. I can't really recommend any specific camera but Panasonic seems to have a well-priced range of options.

As another thought, have you considered hiring? Even if you're planning to buy your own camera it could be worth seeing if you can hire something similar what you'll be buying, just to get a bit of confidence in your decision.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

That was exactly my dilemma last year and all I could really settle on was the HMC72 which has a slightly low biterate but still gives a stunning picture.

Dunno about the UK but here I still have to supply DVD's!!! Everyone has a whopping great LCD TV but no-one owns a DVD player.

The thing I liked about Panny is that you can get the MainConcept transcoder from their website and convert the AVCHD files to Widescreen DV-AVI and it does a stunning job too!!!!

Otherwise, if you have to get a handheld like the Canon XH-A1 or Panny HMC152 you can always buy a shoulder mount DV rig for it!!

Chris

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    ^^ Chris do you mean no-one has a Bluray player, rather than a DVD player?

Hi James

I know a fair amount of people including family, friends and clients and the total number of owners is two!!! In the last 3 wedding season NO-ONE has every asked me for BD ..in fact I have only ever had one client ask if I film in HD (that was 2008 so I had to say no and he was quite happy as he too didn't have a BD player)

Most families will stick with their DVD player for some time yet and I doubt that BD will ever get popular enough to replace DVD..what is far more likely is people will buy media players so they can record TV and play back HD from solid state media..it's the future and we will soon be supplying our movies on card rather than disk. You can get a 32GB SDHC card now for under $75 ..soon they will drop to consumer level so my brides will get a fancy case with a tiny card inside with with wedding video in HD on it!!!

Chris

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Let's hope with all my tape issues that the SSM revolution happens sooner rather than later!!!

James

I only know one person with a blu ray player however ps3's are quite popular so...

DVD's are still quite good though.

Have you considered renting a camera?