Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tape Dropouts

Blog Entries
    Quote: lake54
    View Post
    I put the lenscap on and remove the microphone, and record a whole tape, so as to blank it out - and send it to them, but I don't know whether it would show the issue or not.
    That will work fine for them. They just need to see the RF envelope right off the tape. If there is a sloping loss, then it has to do with the recording. If it's a total loss with hard edges then it's a tape problem (like missing magnetic particles - the surrounding particles still show a strong signal).
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Cheers for the info guys :-)

@SC358 - so if I do my cleaning method, and send it to them, then that should be fine?

On a slightly different note, for Adobe users, how often do your programs crash/freeze etc? I've actually lost count of how many times I've had to redo stuff today, my programs just keep on crashing! Premiere and Encore just randomly crash. However, it only started today, every other time I've been editing, I probably get one crash a week, today it really has been close to 20 at least, and sometimes they happen at the same time - Premiere crashes, then Encore crashes.

Even doing a basic time remap on a title caused the first error below, then when I opened up the project again, I got the second one. Nothing. Extremely worrying!!!

http://www.lake54.com/mediacollege/Adobe%20Fail.png
    http://www.lake54.com/mediacollege/A...obe%20Fail.png

(ignore the attachments - they're too small to see!)

And I know you'll probably cringe at the way I have things laid out/favourite effects etc!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    View Post
    so if I do my cleaning method, and send it to them, then that should be fine?
    Yes it would but I even have doubts that would still be necessary. It's been my experience that 95% of the time, if you're always putting in new tape stock, recording in a normal environment and use the camera for playback spot checks, you should never have a need to clean your camera heads. When heads wear down, a weak RF envelope plays back like drop outs (which is what that is - signal loss) It's the quality of the tape (or any other media) and environment that have a direct impact on your recording. If your camera is defective, that's a different story altogether.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    View Post
    for Adobe users, how often do your programs crash/freeze etc?
    The only Adobe program that ever crashes for me is Premiere Pro, and then only under specific conditions. If I'm mixing AVCHD and HDV clips in the same sequence with anything more than basic transitions I start moving into the crash zone. I suspect it's because my PC is under-spec'd for this type of work. It's a quad-core with 4GB RAM - not a slouch but not really up to demanding HD work. However as long as I don't mix formats it can handle pretty much anything - just slowly.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12