need help with linear editing vcr to vcr

when i try to edit with 2 vcrs there is always a delay and not all the video that i want want in makes it in. i was wondering is this because i am using older equipment or what. anything at all on the subject would be helpful thanx

Blog Entries
    I'm assuming that you have both machines lined up at the edit points, then you let them both go at the same time (play and record). If so, a common problem is that each machine takes a different amount of time to get started from it's paused position.

There's no 100% reliable solution but it you're lucky you can get very close 98% of the time. The key is to experiment and find out exactly what the delay is. Here's what I used to do:

Record a shot of something which measures time in fractions of a second. For example, if you can find a stopwatch with 1/100 sec increments, point your video camera at it and record 10 seconds worth. This is the tape you will use for testing. Obviously you won't actually record every 1/100 of a second - all you need is enough to identify individual frames (25 or 30 per second).

Put this tape in the source VCR and cue it up to a good easy edit point, from where you will be able to measure frames. The best thing is to cue it to a point where the counter/watch says 0:00:00:00 (h/m/s/f).

Put a tape in the record machine and perform an edit as per normal. Then look back at the edited tape and notice which was the first recorded frame. This is the delay you are dealing with. For example, if the record tape starts at 0:00:02:50 then the delay is 2 1/2 seconds.

From then on, every time you cue up your tapes to edit, you need to take your source tape back 2 1/2 seconds from the actual edit point.

Note: If you can't do a recording as above, you can still experiment using trial and error. Just try taking the source tape back (or forward) a set number of frames and see if it's closer or further away from what you want. Keep doing this until you get it right, making sure you take note of how far you have moved the tape.

I hope this makes sense and I hope I've got it all right. It's been a long time since I've had to do this. I understand your frustration and I feel for you!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

thanx a lot, ill be giving this a try and hopefully it will work smoothly.