what should i buy?

i am brand new at this and would like to know what type of camera i should buy. like what brands and what kind, like digital, hi8, ect. i want to use this camera for editing for making short movies. thanx

Blog Entries
    Like many things, budget is probably the biggest factor. It really depends on how much you can afford to spend.

Assuming you are in the mid-range market, I would recommend a MiniDV camera over Digital8. Hi8 and other analog formats are obsolete so avoid them if you can.

Which brand is best is a matter of opinion. The big-name brands such as Sony, Panasonic and Canon all make good quality cameras. I personally prefer Panasonic in the low-budget range but Sony for the more expensive cameras.

If possible, make sure you allocate some money for accessories such as a tripod and microphone(s).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    ....And before you buy, not only ask some opinions but do some research with magazines and online. Magazines that do testing and give reports have been the most informative for me. There's lots of information that can be gotten. Figure out which features you need. As you go along, you'll come across additional features you may have not thought about or considered. Try to find out who else has cameras that you can also talk to in your vicinity and see what they chose and ask them what convinced them to make their decision. Check out what a tourist is using and strike a conversation with them .

It may seem like a lot of work, but an educated customer won't be taken advantaged of.

When money talks - bullshit walks.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

thanks guys. can you tell me what you think of this camcorder,the Panasonic PV-GS200, this is the one im looking to buy.

there are three things you should take account of while buying a camcorder

1, Is the camera 3- CCD. ccd is a chip that captures colors, a single ccd camera will capture all colors (rgb) through a single but where as a 3 CCD camera will have 3 chips to individually capture RGB (red, green, blue). Improves the quality dramatically.

2. how many mega pixels a camera is. I think these days the maximum is 12 mega pixels. the more the better.

3. what lense the camera has.

Blog Entries
    Quote: smike133
    thanks guys. can you tell me what you think of this camcorder,the Panasonic PV-GS200, this is the one im looking to buy.
    That's a fairly nice camera. I think it should have everything you need to get started. I'd say go for it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com