Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's better CCD or CMOS

Hi All

I am a firm believer in using cameras with CCD chips rather than CMOS sensors as there has been numerous reports about the "rolling shutter effect" with CMOS cams when being used side-by-side with a photographer.

As I mainly shoot weddings this would be a problem for me yet most new cams are using a single CMOS chip rather than 3CCD's

Can anyone give me their opinion about this and also the report about CMOS sensors not handling motion very well????

Chris

Chris, We spent hours trying to decide on two new cameras. When it came down to the final decision we chose to stick with CCD cams for the exact reasons you state above. We went with two Canon XH A1 HDV Cams.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Hi Chris,

Hows it going?

Personally I still prefer my 3CCD cams, I have used the CMOS ones in the past and wasn't that impressed with the picture quality compared with my CCD cams, Its just my personal opinion, I don't really know too much about the CMOS ones so I wouldn't like to say which one is technically better.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the comment. I agree entirely but it seems that CMOS are cheaper to make and handle HD better. The side-effects worry me but then again so does shooting an entire wedding on a 32GB SD card and when you put in in the reader it says "card corrupt" !!

Are you busy with weddings there...being Summer??? We will wind down here for a couple of months for our wet cold Winters ...not ideal wedding weather!!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, I see what you mean about the SD Card, I also wouldn't feel particularly happy filming a wedding on one.

The weddings are going well thank you, we still have a few months before the main season starts but its creeping up fast. Its interesting as I have met many couples this year that are having their weddings abroad, but I will be sure that if they are going to Perth I recommend you.

Tom

Hi Tom

Much appreciated!! Being in the Southern Hemispere, we have a fairly dead period in June and July as it's our rainy season and mid Winter too!!! I guess I need a break and it's a good time to do some gear and computer maintenance and renewal!!

A lot of the photographers I work with tend to head North to where the sun is in Winter and take their annual break at a time when work is scarce!!

I'll be sure to send anyone your way who is heading for the UK area

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much, yes when things are quieter its a chance to look for some new gear, there is always something new to buy.

Have a good easter,

Tom

Hey guys, been a while. I trust you've been well.

As written on other posts, I am one of those who have switched from CCD to CMOS, and having worked with both 3 chip and single chip ones.

I guess I don't struggle as much as you guys in this CCD-CMOS issue as wedding videography not the purpose of our CMOS camera purchase. Also photographers here have kind of hit this 'trend' where they are trying to do non-flash photography (with fullframe chip still cameras, though I personally think it's too risky to do that 70% of the wedding!) so as to produce more ambient lighting effects, so it helps in a sense. In my observations, CCDs are still a preferred choice (yes, still with the trusty PD170 or DVX100 series) for wedding coverage with a few moving over to CMOS working together with a firestore or something along that line.

I assumed the role as the Master of Ceremony for a friend's wedding recently and I spoke to the videographer, who incidentally was using a 3CMOS camera. Our complaints were similar; motion skews (especially on fast action pans), rolling shutter effect, with flash photography.

3CMOS that runs on cards may likely use redundancy system (x2 card slots running RAID). Even so the insecurity runs in almost every kind of shoot, save those who are blissfully ignorant of the potential risks taken. A director friend was paranoid throughout a shoot where the Red One was used, fearing corrupted data! Sigh, I wonder if this can be considered a setback in technological advancement.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

Nice to hear from you again as the forum was getting too quiet.

I guess I could live with CMOS if I had no other choice but using SD cards is still a scary issue!! At least with tape, the counter stops and the mechanism makes weird crunching noises and you KNOW you have a problem. What's more you can also retrieve any data from the tape prior to the crunch. SD cards are silent and the only indication of recording is an occasional thumbnail image. Having never used an SD camera does it actually indicate timecode like a tape drive???

Enjoy your Easter break too!!!

Chris

My apologies for the lapse as work and meetings have been packing in this year...

Yes, SD/HDD cams runs a 'time code' in your viewfinder. With the last one I used (I wonder when that was...), they indicate how much space remains with either a physical shortcut button or embedded somewhere in the menu. Glitches/Surges whilst switching DC/AC is the other possible data killer I paranoidly think about most of the time.

A blessed and meaningful Easter to all with a little something that I did with my team.

http://www.syfc.org.sg/media/?p=339#content
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast