edita

camera, laptop and software compatibility

Hello everyone

1. I already have a Sony HDR-TG3 (Full HD 1080, AVCHD) camera. I plan to use Adobe Premiere CS4 editing software. Now I am looking for the right laptop. Which are the minimum requirements for a laptop (Windows, not mac) for editing HDV without crushing/ rendering problems? In order to edit, let's say a 90 minutes lenght video? I would like to be able to show my videos mainly on a home TV but also on a large public screen.

2. I read in a forum that blu-ray will probably not last long on the market. Is that true? Because then it would not be useful to export our videos on blu-ray disks and just use simple DVD disks.

Thank you a lot for any help :-)

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't want to be trying this with less than 4GB RAM and at least a dual-core processor. Of course it really depends on what type of editing you're doing though. I have an old Dell laptop running WinXP with 2GB RAM and it can handle simple HDV editing easily enough. It's when you start piling on the layers, filters and other stuff that things become sluggish.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

edita
    Thank you so much Dave. One more thing to ask which I forgot is if Adobe Premiere works well with Windows 7.

Blog Entries
    I'm actually still running it on Vista but I believe it works just as well on Win7. I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

Regarding Blu-ray, I don't think it will die any time soon. The problem is that uptake is slow and there's a good chance that people will move away from discs altogether before it becomes well established. However if any disc format survives the long-term I think it will be Blu-ray.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D Blu-ray gives the platform a boost later this year.

In the meantime it makes sense to be able to provide both DVD and Blu-ray discs.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Premiere Pro and Windows 7 work well together - I run 7 on all my machines, and I've tried Premiere on all of them, work fine on each one, even on a Dell Inspiron 9300 - old machine, but I use it on location to capture to disk with OnLocation via Firewire (well, that's the idea - I actually had too short a cable and bent both ends :-S got a nice 2 metre one now though!)

Blog Entries
    I have one of those - a Dell Inspiron 9300 with 17" screen. Best laptop I've ever owned - never missed a beat in all these years and still going like the day I bought it. I use it to capture in the field too

So you have Win7 on the Dell? What's the specs? Mine still has XP and I'm wondering whether to try moving to Win7.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Yeah works well in general.

Will check the specs when I get home later, but it captures stuff (with either OnLocation and/or Premiere capture) perfectly. No use at trying to edit it (mind you, I record in HD, so SD might work OK).

James