Thread: Speaker cable

Speaker cable

I have 4 speaker outputs on my ampifier.

I have to run a cable into the church. To save cable I am hoping to use 5 core cable. Can I use 4 wires for the + on the speaker and use one for the -, and use the - for all the speakers.

It will work if the amp's "-" terminals are at chassis ground, but not if any of the amps are working in bridge mode. And I hope the cable is either really heavy or not very long, cuz otherwise you'll get crosstalk between speakers due to return-wire voltage drop.

It would be nice to know the amp model no.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    It will work if the amp's "-" terminals are at chassis ground, but not if any of the amps are working in bridge mode. And I hope the cable is either really heavy or not very long, cuz otherwise you'll get crosstalk between speakers due to return-wire voltage drop.

It would be nice to know the amp model no.
    Sorry I have not been able to find out the model number

I could not find the name of the one we have, however we have been donated an Kenwood KA4010 (100w I think) which they might use. 24 dollar question, but is it fairly safe to assume that most non-bridge mode amps use - to chassis ground. If not, is there an easy way to find out pse. The run is about 40ft and is being used as a foldback speaker so sound quality is not a major issue. Could I get away with using CAT5 paired.

Ultimately, it all comes down to impedance. Look by the speaker outs. It should indicate a minimum load (usually 4 or 8 Ohms). Now you need to look at the speakers you are going to power.

Each speaker should also list a "nominal" impedance. The trick is, you can't put a load that is lower than the amps capabilities. Running speakers in a series-parallel wiring may allow you to achieve the proper impedance...

It would really be best to have models for all the gear, to give you the best possible and most correct answer. Take pictures of the gear if you can't find other documentation showing the specifications.