Multipoint confrencing server

Hello everybody,
    My name is Yosuf and I am studying computer engineering at the University of applied sciences of Rotterdam.
    For my minor I am doing an internship at a company where they want to set up multipoint confrencing server.
    They want to implement H.264/svc (scalable video encoding) for video.

I have to begin gathering information and inventaris of the products needed. My knowledge is limited, but I definitly want to learn from this traineeship project.

My question is what do we need in general? I am speaking of software terms.
    Who are the known and quality suppliers of H.264SVC and What else do I need to approach setting up a multi point confrencing server?

I thank you in advance for your information and sharing your knowledge/experience.

WBR,
    Yosuf

Blog Entries
    Welcome to MC, Yosuf.

In regards to the software – there is nothing that you need. The system is self-contained, someone just needs to be able to troubleshoot the system, preferably the Administrator, when there is an issue. The biggest supplier of video conference systems is Polycom, which I believe dominates the market. There are a couple of other manufacturers worth researching/demoing/testing their equipment before making decision for purchasing. One other manufacturer which I think has a really good product is called Vidyo.

The next expense you’ll have to decide on is whether to spend money on ISDN lines, which is dedicated lines (like a telephone line but digital) or go with the internet traffic and use IP addresses. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

From a client stand point, your non-technical concern (if any) is the environment where the video conference will take place. What’s the overall size of the room and the relationship of the participants to the room and camera distance and angle; will there be furniture; is there sufficient lighting or too much lighting. For example, a sun lit room with no shades or an enclosed room with some overhead lights. Is the environment outside of the room noisy? The background of the participants also needs to very, very low key, so it does not distract the viewer at the far end. I bring up this topic because it is overlooked by the buyer. Meetings that are not productive due to interruptions of any kind is frustrating and are quickly criticized and judged.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

SC358,

Thank you very much for the reply. After doing some research, it now indeed seems that polycom is the leading company in video conferencing and such products. Also other companies like Lifesize, Vidyo, Avistar, VCON and offcourse Polycom are the other suppliers of such services.

Most of the conferencees are mobile and they are at different locations, so ISDN will be not an option. In this case the enviroment will also be different from time to time, but it is not a concern of now.

We also want to expand the conference with some more options like sharing files, drawing table and even an option to play multiplayer games together.

I will keep this topic open to ask my further questions.

@offtopic. You have a great signature. We have the same saying in Dari/Persian. I don't know whether Erasmus has copied it from us or we have copied it from him

br,
    Yosuf

Blog Entries
    You're welcome Yosuf. And thanks for your appreciation of history. The history we make today, is easily documented - hopefully it won't be lost.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.