Thread: HDV Editing

obegun

HDV Editing

Hi guys. I would like to thank you for all the million dollar advise that you give us for free.You are greatly appreciated. A good friend of mine bought me the following PC as a present. Do you think it can handle HDV footage and edit flawlessly. Thank you!

Intel Core i3 Desktop Computer
    Power Supply: Standard 400W Power Supply
    Processor: Intel Core i5 670 Processor (2x 3.46GHz/4MB L3 Cache)
    Motherboard: INTEL H55 Chipset Motherboard
    Memory: 4GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
    PCI-E Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB DDR3 Graphic Card
    Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 Channel HD Audio
    Primary Hard Drive: Seagate 250GB 7200rpm SATA II
    Main Optical Drive: 22x Dual Layer DVD +/- Writer
    Fire Wire: 3 Port PCI Fire Wire Card

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi obegun,

I'm a bit confused as to how your computer can be an i3 workstation, when it has an i5 processor?

Theoretically it should be able to, but it depends mainly on what codec you're editing with, what other programs you intend to have open at the same time, etc etc etc.

AVCHD is, as far as I know, the most 'demanding' format, but your computer should be able to handle it.

The processor (if it's the i5) is more than good enough, the motherboard is a good choice too. RAM should be OK, but you can always do with more :-) The graphics card is a very good choice too. The other components (other than the hard drive) aren't as important, and you should always have at least 2 disks, once for apps/OS, one for data. The more disks you have, the more flexible you can be, and you can improve the performance of your system.

The only thing I'd be wary of is the power supply - I'd say, for all that you have in there, to have a minimum of 550/650W, rather than a pretty measly 400W.

James

Blog Entries
    Hi obegun,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

James has said it all really. I think you'll be okay editing HDV with that computer. I'm not sure if it's a 32 or 64-bit operating system - I don't think it matters too much at this stage but editing software is moving more towards 64-bit (the next version of Adobe Premiere Pro will be 64-bit only).

A lot depends on the type of editing you do. If you're using a lot of layers, transitions and/or effects there will certainly come a point where your computer starts struggling. Most likely you'll develop a feel for when that point is approaching, and the way you organise your projects may evolve to reflect the way your computer can handle different tasks.

Have you decided on editing software?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

obegun
    Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Hi obegun,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

James has said it all really. I think you'll be okay editing HDV with that computer. I'm not sure if it's a 32 or 64-bit operating system - I don't think it matters too much at this stage but editing software is moving more towards 64-bit (the next version of Adobe Premiere Pro will be 64-bit only).

A lot depends on the type of editing you do. If you're using a lot of layers, transitions and/or effects there will certainly come a point where your computer starts struggling. Most likely you'll develop a feel for when that point is approaching, and the way you organise your projects may evolve to reflect the way your computer can handle different tasks.

Have you decided on editing software?
    Thanks Dave. I was using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 but I am now using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.All my softwares are from adobe(Premiere Pro CS4, Photoshop CS4, After Effects and Audition 3.0). I am also using Windows XP Professional 32 bit operating system. Some of the editing I do is for television broadcasting. Any advice to improve on my projects like some other softwares that I need to get exposed to besides Adobe or that can be integrated to work with Adobe. Thanks!