help.. i'm new so not sure what i'm doing......

i'm not even sure i'm in the right place for this, as i am new to the whole website, and also am not very good with computers. i am trying to learn though. i have an .avi video on my laptop that is 2.18gb and is 2:36 minutes long. i want to burn to this to a dvd. windows dvd maker says that it is too big by 6 minutes and some change. ok. transfered to windows movie maker to crop it some. i am only able to get about maybe 2 minutes off the video without losing either the beginning or the end. i d/l dvd shrink but can't drag and drop into the program. help. i'm stuck. if this isn't posted in the right catagory, i apologize ahead of time. redirect me for further questions and i greatly appreciate it. ps. only took me 15 minutes on the site to figure out how to get to post a new thread. told you i was a greehorn. thanks greatly, brock

Quote: bcuddeback
    View Post
    i'm not even sure i'm in the right place for this, as i am new to the whole website, and also am not very good with computers. i am trying to learn though. i have an .avi video on my laptop that is 2.18gb and is 2:36 minutes long. i want to burn to this to a dvd. windows dvd maker says that it is too big by 6 minutes and some change. ok. transfered to windows movie maker to crop it some. i am only able to get about maybe 2 minutes off the video without losing either the beginning or the end. i d/l dvd shrink but can't drag and drop into the program. help. i'm stuck. if this isn't posted in the right catagory, i apologize ahead of time. redirect me for further questions and i greatly appreciate it. ps. only took me 15 minutes on the site to figure out how to get to post a new thread. told you i was a greehorn. thanks greatly, brock
    Hey there, i'm new to the site also!

When you are using windows movie maker are you rendering the file before then exporting it to windows dvd maker? I used the program long ago, so I cant be 100% sure but rendering any 2-3 minute file should never leave you with over 2gb of footage. You can slightly reduce the quality to barely noticeable while seriously decreasing the file size.

Typically I would expect a rendered file of that length to be maybe 200-300MB at MOST. If Windows movie maker does not allow this, perhaps you could look into getting Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premier, however if you are relatively new to this I would recommend Sony Vegas as it is by far the simpler editing tool, even if its not quite as good.

Also, have a look on google about different rendering formats, look for the highest quality for the best file size.

thanks for the reply. the video is 2 hours, 36 minutes long. any other suggestions?

Hi

The video does sound like it's already compressed to a certain extent.. 2.5 hours of DV-AVI would be closer to 40GB than 2GB...what might be the problem is that the file has been encoded in an DivX format which sounds more like 2GB of file size. A standard DVD holds around 100 mins max of video and you have closer to 160 minutes so unless you split the file and spread it over two disks or use a dual layer disk it will have to be compressed. As already said it's probably DivX and most editors are not happy importing that format!!! (Sony Vegas doesn't like it either!!!) DivX still has an AVI extesion so that might be confusing you.

Chris