IR Blocking Filter

Hello everyone,

I'm currently on a project which is in need of a filter that blocks IR light at around the 700 nm range. It's very important that the filter has very minimal spectrum shift proportional to angle of incidence shifts. At first, we looked for gel/film filters in order to achieve this minimal spectrum shift; although, it has been seen that chemistry-wise, it's very difficult to achieve this type of film filter.

Although, it has been brought to our attention that many digital camera companies produce their cameras with a film IR blocking filter already in place.

Could anyone possibly direct me to a manufacture or company that might have these film filters OR a non-film filter that has an extremely low spectrum shift? Thank you so much

-Nathan

Blog Entries
    This is a harder subject than I thought it would be. Out of curiosity, how would this filter be applied and for what application of blocking IR, since it's not visible to human eye nor am I aware of any detrimental effects?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi there, I took a quick read abt your question.

The CCD and CMOS sensors used in digital cameras today are sensitive to light with wavelengths up to around 950 nm. However, for standard photography, capturing infrared light is not desirable, so the manufacturers put an IR-blocking filter in front of the camera's sensor. For newer cameras (after 2004), the IR-blocking filter is usually efficient, and limits the sensitivity of an unmodified camera to wavelengths below 700-705 nm. You may want to check the details directly with the companies, and my take, probably Canon, Sony or Nikon
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore