5 pin xlr to TRS

Hi all. A newbie wants to make sure he's on the right track. 3 pin xlr to TRS wiring is straight forward.

But the question is, with the 5 pin xlr (from a mic) is it correct to link pins 2 & 3 and wire to Tip(left), and link pins 4 & 5 and wire to Ring(right). OR should I ignore pins 3 and 5 altogether, and wire pin 2 to Tip and 4 to Ring.

I'm great at the practical soldering part, just rubbish with the technical stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Hey Rob-
    Wish I could make it easier for you. You'll really have to check with the manufacturer's specification and/or diagram. I wouldn't assume anything at all. Aside from a specialized connector, it may be wired differently (or other passive components added in) to make it less compatible.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Quote: SC358
    View Post
    Hey Rob-
    Wish I could make it easier for you. You'll really have to check with the manufacturer's specification and/or diagram. I wouldn't assume anything at all. Aside from a specialized connector, it may be wired differently (or other passive components added in) to make it less compatible.
    I did check the mic spec.s and they show the xlr 5 pin diagram. SO i've grounded pins 3 and 5 to the shield(pin 1) and use just the 2 and 4 pins for tip and ring of TRS and it works fine (but here's a warning - it's not always a good idea to recycle cable - the piece I used had a fault in the middle - probably got stretched. Not great having to redo the job !)

Blog Entries
    Quote: Rob
    View Post
    (but here's a warning - it's not always a good idea to recycle cable - the piece I used had a fault in the middle - probably got stretched. Not great having to redo the job !)
    Well said! There's always that possibility... You have to be 100% sure, never assume anything - test, test, test...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.