best tripod for heavy video camera

I am just getting started in video production, on a budget. Can anyone recommend a tripod and head that is a low end pro type for all kinds of location shoots. not much fast action, interviews, and that kind of stuff. Thanks.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    OK what camera do you have, and what's your budget specifically?

And will the camera have any lights/heavy-duty batteries/wireless packs etc added on to it to increase the weight further?

In the UK (don't know if they're in the USA or not) Libec are the lower-end brand, whilst Manfrotto tend to be the more premium (but still good value) product.

I'm actually looking for a tripod too, for an HD1000.

James

Aloha

I have this Tripod http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct...m=PROVISTAIR18 and I am quite hapy with it under a Sony H?zu7 camera about 18 pounds I think.

Eric

I'm using the Weifeng range..they are basically copies of the Bogen and so far have worked very well this year!!
    My main ones are the 75mm bowl tripod the E-717 (Actually made very well in Korea and pretty tough but quite heavy)
    You can get the 717 for around $220.00 and it's certainly worth the price!!

Can I ask for your advice on this tripod:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Heavy-...ef=pd_sim_ce_3

Seems very cheap, includes 2 pan handles as well (more than just a bonus in my opinion!).

9/11 reviewers give it 5 stars, the other 2 give it 4.

Blog Entries
    Quote: lake54
    View Post
    Can I ask for your advice on this tripod:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Heavy-...ef=pd_sim_ce_3

Seems very cheap, includes 2 pan handles as well (more than just a bonus in my opinion!).

9/11 reviewers give it 5 stars, the other 2 give it 4.
    Overall it looks good and has a great price. It's very similar to a Bogen model that's at my job. There's one detail that I cannot determine in the picture that I have a tendency to be picky about and that's the tripod feet. It should have the option to be either spiked or a thick, non-skid rubber. I don't like rubber capped feet - very cheesey...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Just to report back on the tripod above - I ordered it and received it yesterday - apart from one little niggle (one of the pan handle screws is a bit funny when it's screwed in), I think it's excellent value for money.

Heavy (in the stable sense), smooth, and great value, I think it was a steal.

The feet (iirc) are pretty much rubber caps like you said, but they aren't your standard ones, as they barely slip. The height of the tripod is very good too, I don't know exactly what the height is, but it's more than tall enough.

Hi James

Looks neat and as long as it works well that's great. I must admit that I prefer a bowl head and yours looks like a standard head??? However you may not work on uneven surfaces like me!! With a bowl, I can just dump the tripod on the ground and adjust my levels in seconds without having to fiddle with leg lengths!!!

Let us know how it behaves on an actual shoot???

Chris

I certainly will do (re shoot performance) - got an important one this Sunday and Monday!

If I'm correct in assuming that a bowl head is essentially one where the head can be rotated (etc) then yes, the tripod does have that: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...ctronics&img=1

Don't know if that image will help or not!

I've been practising with it a little at home and that, seems to work well for me overall - quick locking legs too. Only niggling thing is the quick release plate, depending on where my shoulder is, it might dig into the plate itself (it juts out over the shoulder 'rest'), but I'll see how it goes.

James

PS - You got any experience with an Apple Mac G5 (Dual 2GHz)? I've found a second hand in excellent condition, with FCP 6 and a whole array of Apple Studio software, for a knockdown price (fully legal, mind!).