Editing HDV footage

I have an 11 minute video clip i shot on HDV, I imported it to Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and it continues to index endlessly can somebody help me with a solution, it a quick project that i have to finish in a couple of hours from my personal laptop at home. My laptop specs are as follows:

Intel(R) Pentium(R)M Processor 1.86 GHz
    1.86 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Thanks in advance.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    May be a little too late...

Personally, I'd say that your computer is underpowered in general, so you may find that once it does finish indexing that it could be slow to edit anyway.

Adobe reindexes when it (basically) refinds a media file. The most common cause of this is if you are editing with an external hard drive or memory stick. Even if the stick is not unplugged, Adobe can still think that it is a new 'position' on the computer, and therefore reindexes the file.

If you are editing on an external device, I'd suggest copying the files to your computer. Adobe may ask to locate the files on startup, but if you copy the entire folder, usually if you select the first file, it should find the rest.

James

Thank you James, but i seem to have the same problem even when i copy the clip onto my local disk. Is there a way to solve this?

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    OK perhaps a few small steps to see what's up:

- Ensure all files relating to the project are on the local disk (you might want to right-click -> Replace Footage... to make sure that links are correct for all the files)
    - Open Adobe Premiere Pro along with the project in question
    - Allow it to index all the files
    - After indexing has completed, save the project
    - Reopen the project, and see if it reindexes.

- If it reindexes, check the location of your media cache (in CS4 it's under Edit -> Preferences... -> Media)
    - Tell us what is on that options panel if it still fails to 'save' the index.

James