Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Mixing many different types of footage

I'm filming this weekend at a football match, and the following day at a conference-scenario thing (our school's speech night), and I'm going to be using the following:

- Sony HD1000E - records onto Mini HDV tapes, 1080i
    - JVC GY-HD200E - records onto Mini HDV tapes, 720p
    - Sony PD150 - records onto Mini DV tapes, SD (576i?)

If I mix this onto a 1080i sequence (in Adobe Premiere Pro), there shouldn't be any major problems, should there?

Obviously there'll be differences in quality etc, but as long as it all works together OK, I'm fine with that :-)

James

Hi James

When you upscale SD footage to 1440x1080 and it's interlaced (like the PD150) you will need to delinterlace the footage first otherwise you will get weird and wonderful results from the fact that when the 720x576 footage is upscaled..the interlacing lines are stretched out of shape!!

Chris

OK - I think if I remember correctly that there's an option to do that in Premiere Pro (might be an effect). I'll try and keep the footage to 2 in 1, side-by-side shots (i.e. use it as a B-cam, for shots of the whole crew doing an interview etc). Should make it a little easier.

James

Hi James

The 720p won't need any de-interlacing as it's progressive but you will need to de-interlace the other two. Personally on my Panasonics I would transcode the HDV footage to SD and then you have a level playing field!! I transcode all my weddings from 1920x1080 to PAL DV Widescreen and get good results and lightning fast rendering. Can't help on Adobe as I am a Vegas person but in Vegas you can set the project to auto-deinterlace HDV footage

Chris

Yeah I know re the 720p etc.

In terms of putting it onto YouTube, and putting it onto a DVD, which is best, progressive or interlaced?

I prefer to edit in HD, even though it might be slightly slower and take more rendering, I feel it's worth the result at the end.

James

Hi James
    You tube needs to be progressive and square pixels and a video size of 1280x720 rendered as an MP4 file for best results. For DVD you need to render from your 1440x1080 down to PAL Widescreen 720x576 as an MPEG2 file for DVD which will be interlaced. To be honest I cannot see any visible difference between an HDV 1440x720 file rendered to SD and a transcoded AVCHD file done to SD first. Although there might be a tiny resolution difference it's pretty hard to pick it up on even a 42" LCD TV but you might notice a small difference on a huge projected image.

Chris

Also consider how the vision will all match. I suggest you do a few things that will help it all look as one. Do a separate color grade for each camera's vision. Try and add some grain, or glows, or film effect to all vision. Place a vignette boarder around all vision. I have worked on projects that have very different footage but once I placed a few effects on them all it really seemed like a one camera shoot.

Josh
    Video Production Producer
    Last edited by lake54; 16th Aug 2010 at 10:44. Reason: Fixed URL

Thanks for this, you have answered a question that I have asked on other forums without getting a satisfactory reply.