Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Audio - Word Deletion - Moving Scenes - Sony Vegas Pro 9.0

Aloha

I am one month into Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 and am farther ahead than 6 years fighting Adobe Premier. But I haven't found 2 things I need at the moment.

One, in several Places I need to delete a few Words of inappropriate dialog.

Second, there are 3 clips that were shot that are not in the best order, so what is the best way to rearrange these scenes from their current order.

Third, just thought of, how do I get tittles to supper over the video?

Currently this project has 1 Video and 2 stereo audio tracks. the first audio track is what was shot on camera, and the second track is music background.

Mahalo for the help
    Eric

Hi Eric
    I found the same thing but plenty people still love Adobe!! I have been with Vegas since Version 4 and love it!!
    Audio editing is simple (in fact Vegas has a huge stack of audio edit effects if you right click the track) To delete a word simply select the audio track place the cursor and hit the "S" key where you want to cut the track..however this will also produce a cut in the video so just "ungroup" the audio and video..icon is next to the auto ripple icon on the top tool bar and then drag the offending bits so you have a gap. You can also just insert a Volume envelope on the audio track and double click along the inserted blue volume line a few times to add a few nodes and then drag them down so the volume on the offending words is lowered to almost nothing.
    With video clips that need arranging..drag the full clip into the timeline and then use the "S" key to slice it up and simply drag all the bits into the order you want them. Using the "S" key cuts up a current event so new events are created and you can then just move them with your mouse into any order.

In Vegas any new track (insert - video track) that is above the current track will overlay any lower tracks. For a title go to media generator and drag the default text into a track above your video and you have overlay titles...If you drag a fade on the title event, you can also drag a transition into the fade too so your title can spin in etc etc with virtually no effort!!

Chris

Mahalo

This sounds easy, will not get a chance to try this before Saturday

I hope I understand the move clip correctly, as your directions dont consider I already split the sections on the time line, but after viewing the sequence, these should have their order changed to make a better flow of the visual events. ie. I have people exiting a train before they board. Because of where we were I shot the exits before the entrances.

So since I started this with the Hawaiian Word for Thanks, Aloha
    Eric

Hi Eric
    You can split any event into multiple events and then re-arrange them on the time line in any other you choose..so just split the boarding and exiting bits roughly (you can then use the mouse to drag them to the exact length you want).. then take the exiting event and push it down the timeline so it's out of the way and drag the boarding event to where you want it then drag the exiting event up to it and your sequence will be perfect. A neat trick with V9 (because it displays the length of the event overlay) is, if you need a cut to a new event, drag the events together with a 2 or 3 frame overlap and you get a clean cut ..if you want a crossfade then drag more..I use 1 sec for quick scene changes and up to 3 secs for romantic stuff.

Chris

Oops

Aloha Chris

Apparently I did not understand something. I successfully split the audio and video, but not for the single scene, the whole project. So I quit the project without saving and things are in correct order but are still ungrouped. How do I get back to where I started, and what did I miss?

Mahalo
    Eric

Hi Eric
    Nothing serious!! It's just that Vegas remembers your last settings so when you click the ungroup events icon on the top tool bar you then need to click it a second time when you are done with the audio so the audio and video are locked together again. Just click the ungroup icon and all the projects audio and video will be locked together again.I would actually rather see if you can achieve getting the words out by just inserting a volume envelope and then drop the level right down so the wors are not heard...if it creates a gap, just add a new audio track and add some ambient SFX or music

Chris

Mahalo - Tanks, Much Progress

Aloha

Your suggestion to delete the unwanted dialog is BEAUTIFUL. Only difficulty I had was with the mouse sensitivity. The only additional thing I would like to do at these points is copy good portions of the audio track background sound to fill the dip. So the dip is less obvious.

Mahalo to you and this Forum I am doing so much more, and having so much fun with Sony Vegas, I only wish it was the first one I tried. The Adobe product did nothing but disappoint and frustrate me.

Aloha Chris Or ?

With Chris's help I am almost done with this first project in Sony Vegas. the last thing I would like to do is cover some of the quite parts where inappropiate comments were deleted with some of the background sounds in the clips as they are from the same location. I know that I can drop sounds on another track, but how do I copy just the audio from a clip to use twice?

Mahalo
    Eric

Hi Eric

Also very easy!! Ungroup the audio and video in any event you choose that has some nice ambient audio and then just select the audio only and copy it (Ctrl +C)

Click on the timeline where you want the fill in audio and paste it there (Ctrl + V) and then remember to group the audio and video together again (otherwise you will lose sync!!) You now have just an audio track which you can drag to the size you need and place it exactly where you want it...if you need extra audio fillers just copy the "copied" piece of audio and paste it wherever.

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi Eric

Also very easy!! Ungroup the audio and video in any event you choose that has some nice ambient audio and then just select the audio only and copy it (Ctrl +C)

Click on the timeline where you want the fill in audio and paste it there (Ctrl + V) and then remember to group the audio and video together again (otherwise you will lose sync!!) You now have just an audio track which you can drag to the size you need and place it exactly where you want it...if you need extra audio fillers just copy the "copied" piece of audio and paste it wherever.

Chris
    Aloha

This worked but somehow I turned off the volume settings, I don't know if they are lost on not shown. That blue line is not being displayed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast