Making avi files smaller...

I made some videos with my friends camera, then i edited them with Movavi Video Editor 4.0.

Then I exported it as an avi file and it weighs 1.24 Gb but its only 23 minutes long...
    I tried to make it smaller with Avidemux 2.4 but instead it made it weigh 1.26Gb.

I canīt figure out how to make it smaller, can anyone help???

Please

btw, the camera is a photo umm, machine...

sorry, not very goot at english

try lowing the bitrate [kbps] and see what happens then

wonīt that screw up the quality it already looks like crap...

Try another codec then. The quality is also influenced by the codec.

I used to watch 1hour+ rips, with a bitrate around 700-1k, and the quality was very close to the original DVDs.

I'm not really much into codecs these days, since VLC (videolan) plays almost everything. And i haven't done a rip for years myself...

These days, you will also have a hard time finding skilled people, who are able to compress the movie so much, without it effects the quality in some way. But it can still be done. These days its just more likely for a DVD rip, to be around 1.2gb in size. It requires extensive tweaking with the codec settings, to maintain the quality at lower sizes. And then you also encounter rips which are awful in the quality, despite their high bitrate.

But to suggest you a good codec, i would recommend you try out XviD. Stay away from MPEG, they tend to waste to much file space, on god knows what..