Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Slight pixelation

At first I thought it was those dodgy tapes that I had, but this is a fresh batch now.

On all my footage, I have a ~5% width, 100% height, vertical area where the video is almost pixelated, for some unknown reason.

I noticed a similar effect on a PD150, except on that it occurred along the bottom edge, going from left to right (you can see where I cropped it out slightly on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3LmOY6M4N4)

The one on my HD1000 goes along the right hand side, going from top to bottom, see the attached picture (I've had to blur out the main section as it contains young people (under 18)), but I've left the bottom area and the right hand side for some comparison of what it looks like in my Premiere Pro monitor (set to draft quality, hence the graininess).

Anyone got any ideas if it could be something serious, and therefore should I send my camera off for repair?

Picture (attaching didn't work): http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesmi...03204/sizes/o/

James

Hi James

Looks like interlacing lines to me!!

Remember if you are shooting interlaced and are outputting to SD (onto a DVD) you will be resizing the image from HDV 1440x1080 to SD 720x576.. if the resizing is done on interlaced video then you will essentially mess up the interlacing...check if you are de-interlacing the footage before resizing it. It's a common problem with HD to SD.

Chris

I know what you mean, but I filmed in HD, captured in HD, and am editing in HD - all the settings are the same.

James

Hi James

Dunno about Adobe but my preview doesn't de-interlace the footage on the time line in Vegas so in preview mode I will see interlacing lines and just ignore them!! Why not take a small section of the footage that contains the "pixellated bits" and then render that to an MPEG2 but turn off interlacing so the clip is progressive and watch that on your 'puter??? That will easily confirm whether the footage has a fault or the preview is simply showing interlacing lines that your computer screen doesn't handle??? Otherwise render out a minute or so and make a test DVD and watch it ...if there is no defects then the lines there were interlacing ones and you have nothing to worry about

Chris

Blog Entries
    I get the same thing in my program window. I've never bothered to figure out why because it only happens when previewing - it's not there on the output files. At least now I know it's not just me.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Ah cheers Dave :-)