Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Quick Review of Video please!

Could you take a look at this video and tell me whether:

a) I should keep the possible headache inducing effect on the match footage,
    and b) What (if anything) can I do about the noise on the interview at the end?

Please note that this is a totally unfinished piece of work, it's 100% a work in progress. Just want to know whether I should remove the effects mainly.

Also, note the rolling shutter effects in the first match clip.

James

[Video currently being uploaded - should be on within the hour]

Again, this video is not finished so please don't criticise the overall flow or individual clips - it all needs to be tidied up and vastly extended.

Also, in case you think I've had a voice transplant, I had an interviewer with me, hence the female voice in the last clip.

James

Hi James
    Pumping vision in time with the music is great for music videos but not for sports coverage!!! I would re-edit that!! Nothing you can do about CMOS shutters so live with it or cut to another shot maybe.... at soccer matches the most useful shots are going to be lots of cutaways of the crowd!! They can be used to cover a multitude of sins. Dunno about the audio at the end..it sounds like you have a mic problem but you should be able to filter out the crackles quite easily or at least make them less obvious. If you are doing lots of interviews in noisy environments then consider a Rode VideoMic..makes a BIG difference even with high ambient levels!!

Chris

OK no worries - I thought it might be a poor decision - I'll remove the effect right now.

I think I've managed to rectify the audio at the end by removing clicks and pops in Soundbooth - well, it's an improvement, if not perfect.

The first on my list is actually a light (and I've found a good one in excellent condition second hand - the battery is the same one as my camera, and it's a high capacity one, and the light goes on the front cold shoe, with a lead into the battery.)

Cheers for the feedback Chris.

James

Hi James

Rather look for an LED video light!! The older halogen ones eat batteries!!!! I have a 126 LED on-cam light that will run off a camera battery or 6 x AA NiMh cells almost all night... cost me a mere $49.95 on eBay brand new..they are awesome!!!!!! Just search ebay for "126 LED video light" Worth every cent and is dimmable too!!

Chris

The one I found on eBay looks pretty good - quite cheap as well like you say.

http://www.proav.co.uk/Used-Broadcas...887_sc792.aspx

The benefit of getting the one I've linked to is like I said, it would mean I have 2 high capacity batteries, rather than my current 1 (which does last a very long time actually).

If I was looking to get some proper stand lights, these have just come on sale: http://www.proav.co.uk/Lighting-Chro...156_sc834.aspx

No-brand lights, and you can get 150/300/650 on each of the lights - look pretty nifty to me!

James

Hi James

150 is way too much to pay!!! These work very very well!!! and are a mere 35 quid!!!!! (and free shipping) Grab one you won't regret it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-6-Watt-126-L...item27aa4ec010

Chris

Hmm I see what you mean actually.

Only thing that is good about 'my' light is that it lasts longer than 70-90 minutes. What's your average run time with one of these lights? And also, how sturdy are they? I've read online various stories about my shoes becoming quite loose with lights/mics etc.

Also, the listing talks about hot shoes - if they don't provide power, aren't they cold shoes?

Hi James

I can do virtually an entire wedding reception on that video light running 6 x AA Ni-Mh batteries!!! With a camcorder battery it would run even longer!!!

Yeah the "thumb screws" on the double hinged cold shoe mount are not very good so I just replaced them with 5mm machine screws and did them up tight and they work fine!! My HMC's only have 2 cold shoes (no power) but the video light has a lockwheel on it..hasn't fallen off yet!!! People often call a hotshoe the bracket on the camera regardless of whether it is hot or cold!!! Even Panasonic call mine "hotshoes" and they are just brackets for accessories!!

Chris

OK I'll certainly think about it.

What about the 9.6W 160 LED version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-6-Watt-160-LED...item27a93bca36