Video Quality Loss VOB/DV Files.

Hey everyone, I am new on this forum and to video editing. Maybe someone will be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.

I have my wedding on 3 DVD's and what I am trying to accomplish is, out of the 8 hours want to create a video thats about an hour or two in length for relatives.

My Issue:
    I've copied the VOB files into one large file from the DVD using yadeX to my hhd. When i try convert it into .dv or quicktime that way i can import it/edit it in Adobe Premier Pro CS4 the file looses quality right away and i see flicker lines very often.

Please help me or guide me on to the right path of what i should do. I've been testing different file formats and they all loose video quality. I am not sure what to use anymore, or what settings to set up.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Hi DWS

Vob DVD files are essentially MPEG2 video which is not a good idea at all to edit but since you have nothing else as source footage then you are stuck with them. CS4 surely will be able to import VOB video files???? I don't use anything Adobe so I cannot help on that score but the bottom line is that yes, you will lose some quality as MPEG2 is compressed so the video information is only in every 5th frame on average. Restoring to AVI will still have a quality loss due to the highly compressed format!! All you can really do is find a converter that does VOB to AVI and live with the quality loss!!

However there are a few programs that will allow you to cut up a video file and then re-compile it without have to re-render That might be an option too!!

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi DWS
    However there are a few programs that will allow you to cut up a video file and then re-compile it without have to re-render That might be an option too!!

Chris
    Chris thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

One thing that i did was use MPEG Streamclip and saved the vob file as a mpeg and that didnt loose any quality, but the problem i ran into is when importing that large mpeg file into PPro it tells me that the media is pending and i cant do anything about that. Any advice on what software i can use for MAC to slice up the .mpeg file into smaller peaces, maybe that will work?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hi DWS

Sorry I'm a PC user only but I'm sure there are some MAC users here who can make a few suggestions!!

Chris