Thread: Palmcorder

KGB

Palmcorder

Greetings - would someone be so kind as to post a manual for the Panasonic Palmcorder PV-530? It is a VHS-C camcorder with 20x digital zoom.

I inherited this camera from a relative, but have never been able to use it due to a stuck tape. I'm hoping the manual will provide me with a couple of insights as to how I might go about getting the tape out.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, we have a PV530 manual but it's for a full-sized VHS camera. Here it is:

Edit: The location of our manuals has changed so the link in this message has been removed. Please go to our database of user manuals and use the search form. If you can't find the manual, post a message in this forum.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

KGB

Hm...

Thank you for the help, but that one isn't even remotely similar to my PV-530. Can you offer me any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    That's a bit of a mystery about the different model numbers.

Unfortunately I don't think even the correct user manual is going to be much use in your situation anyway. User manuals tend to tell you how to do everything assuming that everything is working okay. For repair and maintenance you really need a service manual, which we don't have.

Our resident engineer is Scratch - he might be able to offer more advice.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi there. I can't find any reference to that model number other than the one you and Dave discussed. Perhaps you could check thats the right one?

Anyway, assuming that we dont have a manual, the only thing you can do is to dismantle the camera and remove the offending tape. Then you will have to reasemble the camera. This can be an extremely difficult task without a service manual, and should really be done by a professional.

However.....if the camera isn't all that valuable to you (ie: it doesnt matter if it never goes again) and you do want to 'have a crack at it', here's a few tips...
    1) Find yourself a clean, spacious workbench to do it at (one where you can leave it all spread out until you've finished)
    2) Keep some small containers handy - for screws etc, and use different containers for diferent groups of screws (outside casing, carriage screws, viewfinder parts/screws and so on)
    3) Use a notebook and record each step as you complete it - making it easy to follow in reverse to reassemble it.

Good luck!

PS Let us know if the model number is right or wrong, or any info you can as well.