Need advice on wireless microphones for interview situation

I have a Canon GL2 and Iím going to be taping an interview between two people in an office setting. I am thinking about going with the Sony UWP series of wireless microphones. The cost is not a big concern. But I am new at this and it is not clear how I can record both people with this set up. For example, if the receiver attaches to the camera, and I put a lavalier bodypack on the subject, how do I pick up the interviewer?

I would appreciate some examples or suggestions.

Blog Entries
    It's good that cost is not an issue because it would be best to use 2 mics & 2 receivers. One mic on Ch 1 and the other on Ch 2.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Your reply probably makes sense to someone with experience but it doesn’t make sense to me. As I said, I am new at this. So you are telling me I should have two receivers. One UWP receiver mounts on the camcorder accessory shoe and plugs into the MIC terminal. Where would I mount the second receiver and where would I plug it in? Is there a problem with using one receiver and two transmitters?

You cannot use one receiver with two transmitters. The transmitters have to be on different channels or they will interfere with each other. That means two receivers also. The Canon is simply not set up for this situation.

You will need to find someplace to put the two receivers, and a means to mix their outputs together. Some wireless microphone systems have two receivers in one box, but they still have separate outputs that need to be mixed. A simple Y-cord for mixing is not a good idea; you need a basic 2-input mixer. Then you need a cable from the mixer to the camera. You may be able to get all of this in a small enough form factor that you can wear it or mount it on the tripod - but it won't mount on the camera.

This is a whole lot more than you bargained for, but the right answer is not always convenient. Where did you get the Canon? Ask if they have anything for this situation. If not, you're going to have to go to a commercial audio distributor.

Please report back. You're not the first person who has asked about this, and I'd like to know if you find something that's affordable, available and takes care of the problem.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Just to add on slightly - I started a thread asking for reviews/input on an affordable USB mixer: http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/sh...Mixer-Any-good

This could be used to grab the two mic sources, and record them to your computer. This also frees up your on-camera mic to record ambient sound and act as a backup. Just make sure to sync everything when you're editing! Might help to have a clapperboard or something simple like that.

this is what i would recommend: JK Audio BluePack Bluetooth Wireless Interview Tool

The BluePack from JK Audio allows you to send a live "on the street" interview back to a studio using your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone. Plug a mic into the XLR port, and the Bluetooth sends audio to your cell phone. Use the cell phone to call into a studio line, then toss the cell phone into a bag, and you're free to walk around conducting interviews using the compact belt-wearable BluePack.