zxzx

Remove the black area of movie to fit full screen of iPad

Hello,

Anyone could tell me how to remove the black area around video? When I play movies on my Apple TV, there are always black area at the top and bottom of the screen. I downloaded a kind of software named Handbrake, and convert movies to other formats and set the ratio. However, it is so complicated. I think it is an obstacle to enjoy movies because of the back area. Anybody could give me some advice?
    Thanks a million!

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi zxzx

On the iPhone 3G, when watching a video, you can press the two interlocking arrows in the top right of the player (tap the screen), toggles between 100% fit to screen, and 'expand' to remove the black bars (same ratio).

I've forgotten what resolution the iPhone 3G has, and the ratio for it (basically widescreen) but a bit of googling should give you the results for the iPad (lucky!!!)

James

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    By the way, on a standard TV screen, once I've set a movie/programme running with a black area on (depending on what settings) I don't really think it's an issue. If you start to notice it on a TV screen, then it's a poor movie/programme!

I agree that on an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch it may be more distracting, but it depends on how large/small the video is really. It's more frustration at the waste of space!

James

You can use virtualdub and the null transform filter to crop (there is a preview to facilitate this) or easier, avidemux with crop filter.
    Useful for VHS videos that has extras unsync lines, generally at the bottom of screen.

Do you mean convert dvd movies to some videos so that can be watched on your ipod? I think maybe the handbreak is not the best choose, to get the right video, you can use another better program, if you don't know what;s the better one, you can use RZ DVD Copy, most of my friends use it to convert/copy dvd movies to fit for ipod.