How do i connect from Stereo Jack to XLR and make it L+R mono without shorting?

Hi

Can you help?

I am trying to connect a soundcard to a W-Audio PSR12A Active Speaker, and have it play in L+R mono

the soundcard has a Stereo output 1/4 jack (Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ soundcard)
    tinyurl.com/352zruf

into a W-Audio PSR12A Active Speaker
    tinyurl.com/346mwt4

the speaker is mono XLR

but I think the Sound card Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ somehow switches between Balanced and unbalanced depending on what's plugged into it.

Can I FORCE the 'stereo out' of the audio 2 DJ to be 'COMBINED L+R MONO'

What lead do I need?

6.3mm Stereo Jack - XLR Male
    tinyurl.com/39nvbf8

Or will this bridge terminals and cause a short?

Can you help me get the right lead and not blow anything up?

Even if you don't blow something up you will probably get distortion. Do a bit of scanning on this forum; there's more than one discussion of the problem. If you can't find what you need...I gotta run, but I'll check back tomorrow and see if you're still having trouble.

Hey. It's been awhile since anybody's posted here but I figured I would.

What you need is a LiveWire Direct Box. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDkQ8gIwAg#

These things are great for exactly your purpose.

For more detailed instruction, please see my post:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/sh...jack-%28XLR%29

Good Luck!
    Eric
    Student Manager, *HS Auditorium

Hi

Thanks for the reply and reigniting this topic

I had a really bad experience with an incorrectly wired XLR lead years back and blew up a Power amp, ruined the gig and cost myself 100's.

I'm back on this today after a huge delay

I have a small DJ style Studio and have now bought a Presonus Monitor Station (coming today yey!)

so i can switch between my studio speakers (Spirit Absolute 2's) and a PA speaker (W-Audio PSR12A Active Speaker)

Also i can quickly switch between the 'computer' and the 'laptop DJ setup' inputs

Back to connecting the big speaker:

the speaker has one XLR line input but 2 trs jack mike inputs

The Presonus monitor station has Jack out puts

Audio Outputs
    Type ...................................................................... .............................................. TRS Active Balanced
    Output Impedance (Balanced) ...................................................................... ...................................... 51 Ω
    THD+N (unwtd, 1 kHz @ 0 dBu, Unity Gain) ...................................................................... ......... <0.003%
    Frequency Response (0.5 dB) ...................................................................... .................... 10 Hz to 50 kHz

I've really got to not spend too much money here:

What i could do is connect one wire to the speaker and switch it to mono every time

but it would be nice to sum L+R and input that to the speaker

Could i input to the 2 mike sockets to create a MONO L+R sum?

Its making my head hurt, and i dont want 'DEJA blowup something'

What are my options again?