Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An Idea from a newbie, I need Help.

Hello everyone, my name is Mathew and this is my first post here. I don’t want this to sound like an advertising/spam post, because although in a certain sense it could be construed as one, it is not “self-serving.” I am not trying to “sell” anything; I am simply looking for a forum community, such as your own, to become a part of and in which to obtain support for an enormous charitable undertaking. I am not here to beg for money, or to ask for free services -- though both will be needed and welcomed in the beginning. I am here in search of partners to help me implement an idea which will have a life changing impact for people throughout our nation, and ultimately, the world.

To be straight forward and to the point, I am one of the hundreds of thousands who have been affected by the massive decline in the economy. Like countless others, I have not been able to obtain employment in almost two years within an industry which has supported me well for over 20 years.

This crisis, however, has become the inspiration for me to create an entertainment industry cooperative, and it is the motivator which helps me excel in my studies with a 4.00 major G.P.A (3.94 cumulative) as I pursue a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

The mission of the cooperative is to advance the national economy through job creation and specialized tutoring, while providing support for the performing arts, the performance of charitable acts, and the fulfillment of life changing dreams.

• Are you a video producer or filmmaker, without an opportunity to showcase your art?
    • Would you like to take part in the production of an international television series?
    • Do you have specialized skills in business administration (and especially nonprofit 501 (c)3),
    advertising, any phase of video production, or web site and graphic design?

I need YOUR help…

I am completely dedicated to this mission and I am willing do whatever it takes (ethically and legally) to ensure its success. Yet, as I am sure you can understand, this will be a huge undertaking and impossible to successfully undertake without support – especially the support of talented individuals like yourself. The benefit to individuals like myself who were so greatly affected by our current economic crisis, for this forum community, and for our world as a whole, is immeasurable and I beg you to consider helping me to undertake this mission.

If you would like to become a part of this mission and need more information, please post a reply here, and send me a message through these forms.

Thank you in advance,
    Mathew

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi Mathew,

So essentially you want to create an international TV series with the pool of talent from this site (amongst other sources), under a non-profit organisation?

Sounds like a great idea, but a little hard to achieve if you ask me.

Main thing would be logistics - assuming you even got 10 people to help from different countries, getting them to travel (incurring expenses) to a central location to shoot something with a potentially lo/no/deferred pay basis would be nigh on impossible, in my opinion. Then to get that to be shown/distributed to a single country, I believe that's very hard.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, your idea is great, but the execution of said idea would be tricky.

James

obegun
    Quote: splatius
    View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is Mathew and this is my first post here. I don’t want this to sound like an advertising/spam post, because although in a certain sense it could be construed as one, it is not “self-serving.” I am not trying to “sell” anything; I am simply looking for a forum community, such as your own, to become a part of and in which to obtain support for an enormous charitable undertaking. I am not here to beg for money, or to ask for free services -- though both will be needed and welcomed in the beginning. I am here in search of partners to help me implement an idea which will have a life changing impact for people throughout our nation, and ultimately, the world.

To be straight forward and to the point, I am one of the hundreds of thousands who have been affected by the massive decline in the economy. Like countless others, I have not been able to obtain employment in almost two years within an industry which has supported me well for over 20 years.

This crisis, however, has become the inspiration for me to create an entertainment industry cooperative, and it is the motivator which helps me excel in my studies with a 4.00 major G.P.A (3.94 cumulative) as I pursue a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

The mission of the cooperative is to advance the national economy through job creation and specialized tutoring, while providing support for the performing arts, the performance of charitable acts, and the fulfillment of life changing dreams.

• Are you a video producer or filmmaker, without an opportunity to showcase your art?
    • Would you like to take part in the production of an international television series?
    • Do you have specialized skills in business administration (and especially nonprofit 501 (c)3),
    advertising, any phase of video production, or web site and graphic design?

I need YOUR help…

I am completely dedicated to this mission and I am willing do whatever it takes (ethically and legally) to ensure its success. Yet, as I am sure you can understand, this will be a huge undertaking and impossible to successfully undertake without support – especially the support of talented individuals like yourself. The benefit to individuals like myself who were so greatly affected by our current economic crisis, for this forum community, and for our world as a whole, is immeasurable and I beg you to consider helping me to undertake this mission.

If you would like to become a part of this mission and need more information, please post a reply here, and send me a message through these forms.

Thank you in advance,
    Mathew
    Would really like to help you.I am in South Africa and I echo Jame's sentiments too but let me hear from you.

Well, you are close to understanding, except here actually wouldn't be any traveling involved. Everyone would film locally or submit material from their portfolios to the central location. Also, people will be paid…

1. Nonprofits do pay salaries.
    2. Producers also receive a large percentage of the advertising charges. For example, every show in every city may have 8 1 min. commercial slots per hour of broadcast.
    3. Producers may charge for the filming of the commercials, and for the airtime,
    4. Producers may charge for recording the local bands (unless they have won a contest).

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    OK, what's the advantage of being in this organisation, as opposed to 'going it alone'? Apart from slightly more presence, and more resources potentially, surely someone else could just do this by themselves?

So the money flow would be something like this:

Producer creates show, charges people to record it
    Producer submits to [organisation]
    Producer gets paid if shown on TV
    Producer also gets x% of advertising revenue
    Producer gets a salary <- where would this come from?

I'm interested for sure, but some things aren't clear for me.

It appears that my posts still need to be approved by an administrator before being shown, so by replies will be a bit delayed, sorry.

In the beginning the show may be based only in the United States, particularly in Texas – but it doesn’t have to be. The beauty of the plan is that everyone films in their home locations, and/or submits material from what they have previously recorded. Costs are reduced dramatically, and so is the time needed to gather the material independently. Think of it as a professional version of YouTube broadcasted on television.

If with the money saved by using this procedure, it will still have some high costs involved. I will have to do a lot of traveling to train new producers and advertising teams in the various cities. Then there are the websites, which will be high cost simply because of the amount of user interaction required. I will be entering a contest to win a $250,000 grant from Pepsi next month. I am trying to gather enough material to edit into a 3 minute P.S.A. -- with a convincing P.S.A., I feel that there is a good chance of obtaining the grant. So, here I am seeking help.

You have to understand that anything I tell you, at this point, is still liable to be changed in the near future. This project is in its beginning stages and once a board of directors is appointed, organizational policies and procedures will be put to a vote and will change slightly. Also, once the websites are in place, the way that we “hire” producers will change.

First of all, you need to understand that there are differing classifications of “producer.” The first classification is those who submit material to the website as a contest entry in various categories. The winners of a contest for a spot on the television series for example will, of course, have their material broadcasted on the television show, but will also receive cash prizes and/or services and equipment. You also need to keep in mind that a lot of the material will be submitted by the bands themselves and will be competing for cash prizes, record contracts, audio and video recording services, musical equipment, and spots on the national and international tours.

The second category of producer is the representative of The Entertainment for Humanity Cooperative in each city. Every city is required to have a “sponsored producer” who will submit the material to the public access station. The sponsored producer will be in command of all the various teams working within city, and may or may not, do any actual production work. The compensation that the sponsored producer, and the various teams working within each city receive, would be a variable and dependent upon the size of the city, whether or not filming is done within the city, and the amount of time and work involved.

You asked what is to prevent an individual from creating their own show independently. Absolutely nothing, however, they would not have access to the resources that the cooperative provides. You must remember that it is a cooperative, an alliance of industry professionals, helping one another to achieve success. It is not a for profit organization paying salaries to employees – though some, like the sponsored producers and the board of directors will be treated as such, not all will. However, being a part of the cooperative provides many benefits, such as the ones I mentioned before.

He's my penny's worth.
    I've come across these sort of ideas before and I'd be very wary of entering into such a project with such a sketchy half explained plan.

What is the basis of the project? Is it to be a commercial enterprise where remuneration is paid for submissions, or a community (charity) project where contributors give work voluntarily and receive credit for their work, or a competition where the rights of usage are waived against the possibility of winning a prize?
    Or something else which I've not been able to glean from the postings?

Is there a proper business plan?
    Who are the board of directors?
    What is the basis of their appointment?
    How will the commercial use of any submitted work be audited?
    How will remuneration/credit/prizes be reckoned and assigned?
    Who will run the scheme, and where from?

I've come across schemes such as this before with audio/photographic and film contributors canvassed. A large amount of material is accumulated but the contributors never hear back as to whether or not any material has been used/sold/licensed and they have no way of finding out. It relies totally on the credibility of the organiser and I note that this has been submitted by an anonymous poster who gives no indication of who or where their are.
    I realise that many creative producers are ever keen for outlets for their work and some may not even attach much or any commercial value to it so this may work well for them, but I for one would want a lot more detailed information before considering such a scheme.

You make some great points. The reason why the post is "sketchy" and not very detailed is because a lot of the main points have not been addressed yet. In fact, I could use some help along those very lines. If you are willing, you could help me do so.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t have enough time to address your questions properly in my last post. To be honest, I am trying to launch this venture prematurely. I should for example, complete my BA first, and that was/is (?) the plan. Yet, when I saw an opportunity to obtain a grant that would ensure the project’s startup I decided to try and find help with the very things you asked about.

“What is the basis of the project?
    Is it to be a commercial enterprise where remuneration is paid for submissions, or a community (charity) project where contributors give work voluntarily and receive credit for their work, or a competition where the rights of usage are waived against the possibility of winning a prize? Or something else which I've not been able to glean from the postings”

Technically it is a combination of all of them. In its base form the organization is a cooperative. As such, it would be an alliance of for profit corporations being governed by a nonprofit organization. Very rarely, however, would anyone be asked to submit material for free use. The artists will always receive the industry standard royalties, and credit for their work, regardless of whether or not the material was obtained as a result of winning a contest.

“Is there a proper business plan?”

The business plan has not been started yet. If I create the plan myself, it will be several months until completion.

“Who are the board of directors?”

I am seeking professionals from within the entertainment industry, and those companies who would become members of the cooperative to appoint to the board.

“What is the basis of their appointment?”

The original members of the board will be appointed by me, they will serve a two year term, after which the appointments will be by election. The specifics of electoral appointment still need to be determined.

“How will the commercial use of any submitted work be audited?”

By “audited” I assume you mean: How will the artists and public verify that the material is only used as approved or used at all? Before any material would be broadcasted on television, or used in any manner what so ever, a contract will be signed both by the corporation, and the artist. I would never use an artist’s work without their knowledge, or consent. How do you verify that? How would you verify that any company does so or not?

“How will remuneration/credit/prizes be reckoned and assigned?”

A yearly budget will be assigned to a prize fund by the board of directors. The prize fund can then be subdivided into different categories for disbursement. The differing categories could either be voted into place by the board, or the members of the cooperative (the allied companies).

“Who will run the 'scheme,' and where from?”

The organization's policies and strategies will be voted upon by the board of directors. The organization is a Texas corporation, however, the board members do not all have to live in Texas.

“I've come across schemes such as this before with audio/photographic and film contributors canvassed. A large amount of material is accumulated but the contributors never hear back as to whether or not any material has been used/sold/licensed and they have no way of finding out. It relies totally on the credibility of the organiser and I note that this has been submitted by an anonymous poster who gives no indication of who or where their are.
    I realise that many creative producers are ever keen for outlets for their work and some may not even attach much or any commercial value to it so this may work well for them, but I for one would want a lot more detailed information before considering such a scheme.”

There certainly are many unethical people out there who would do exactly as you say. However, you also have to understand that I have to look out for the same thing, this is an open public forum, and I am leery of giving out too much information here. I would rather discuss the topic privately, preferably with a nondisclosure agreement... Maybe I should just wait...
    Last edited by splatius; 14th Jun 2010 at 03:10.

Hi Mathew. At least by coming back to answer my points I'm more assured that the object of your post was not to scam people, forgive my cynical tone but I've learned to be very wary of good ideas thrown out on the internet.
    I don't think it would be a project of interest to me, but good luck with it and I hope that you do find people on here that can help you develop it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast