Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

USB Mixer - Any good?

Alesis MultiMix 4 USB Mixer

http://www.alesis.com/multimix4usb

For what it is, I believe it's good value, at around 75. For me it'd be ideal because I could have my camera microphone separate, and record other inputs through this straight onto a laptop onlocation.

There's a 6 input version for 20 more, and other models with more inputs.

Simply, is it much good?

I'm looking for something so that when I'm doing interviews or shooting from a static location, I can get any feed recorded on separate tracks/channels. Coupled with a firewire adapter for my laptop, I can all the video and audio recorded as it's going!

James

Blog Entries
    Hey James~
    I bought a couple of these because I needed a way to monitor with headphones (nothing critical) certain systems that didn't provide headphone connections. It works well for my need plus it's cheap enough.

In addition, I can make a recording (down and dirty) to a laptop via USB.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Does the USB permit recording each source on a separate channel, though? I thought the whole point of a mixer was to mix. Certainly the analog outputs will be a mix, but if the USB outputs separate data streams per input - well, hey, cool! I can think of lots of uses for that.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    From looking at the description again, it looks as though it just outputs stereo audio from the mixer - thanks for pointing that out karl!

I might have been reading it wrong, so if it does look as though it outputs separate tracks, please let us know!

@SC358 - if you use it then it must be good enough :-D