obegun

Mac OS VS Premiere Pro CS4

Hi guys and how are you all doing? I have just been given a Mac-book Pro laptop and am opting to use it for video editing. My question is, can I use the same premiere pro CS4 software that I was using on my PC on the Mac? Are there 2 different software's designed for the PC platform and for the Mac platform especially when it comes to premiere pro?

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Frustratingly, the answer is no - at least that's the short official answer I got when I asked Adobe about a year ago. The disks are definitely one-platform only. However I've heard rumours that if you contact Adobe now they might have a program that allows you to switch platforms without paying full price. I believe that you can still only opt for one OS though - in other words, you can run it on a PC desktop & laptop OR a Mac desktop & laptop. I don't think there's any way at all to split the desktop & laptop across OS's.

If anyone can provide a more up-to-date or definitive answer I'd be grateful as I'm still facing a similar dilemma myself. I'd really like to migrate my Adobe suite to a Mac but I'd still want to use my PC laptop as well. I'm not optimistic but I can still dream.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave and obegun,

The answer is a resounding no. Like many others, Adobe do not create 'hybrid' installation discs. Macs use Mac installation discs and PCs for PCs'. It's the same for CS5 now!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I was originally trained on FCP and my new job has me cutting on Premiere.... I HATE IT... Well, hate might be a strong word, but it's nowhere near what FCP is....When we got the bundle there was a DVD attached attempting to put over the software and they showed all this behind the scenes stufff from James Cameron and the making of AVATAR. But after cutting with Premiere, I was left scratching my head trying to figure out how much they spent on plugins because this platform outright sucks!!!

FCP 4 Life!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote: birminghambabe
    I was originally trained on FCP
    This pretty much sums up my experience in what people think is the "best". Almost always, it's what they learned on and what are used to - whether it be FCP, Avid, PPro, Vegas, etc. Anything else tends to be considered inferior.

Regarding plugins, that's either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your perspective. FCP fans tend to think it's a deficiency that PPro leaves some things to plugins, whereas Adobe fans tend to see it as an advantage that you can mix and match hardware & plugins to suit your budget and requirements. It's a bit analogous to the whole PC vs Mac debate.

In my opinion you don't want to get too fixated on what's the "best" software or OS. Worry about what's best for you - other people may have very legitimate reasons for deciding that something else is best for them.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com