Shooting group photography

Hi guys,
    1 am new in photo world,can any one kindly explain to me how to shoot group photos,let say about 30 people ,how do i set my camera such that the camera capture everyone with an average size.
    am not really good at reading manuals.
    my camera is sony alpha 700 ,my lens is 3.5-5.6/18-70.
    thanks in anticipation.
    sam.

Hi Sam,

Just have your ppl stand together (based on your lens specs, in rows, or sporadically, it's your choice, but place them close enough so you can have them in the same proportions). Zoom in/out to a relatively comfortable size (if you want them bigger, based on those standing in front, crop them off waist up). I keep my f-stop to f5.6 if I were you. Otherwise, just turn to that A (auto) or P (program) mode and fire away.

To better help, it will be good to post what you already have and what you are not happy abt those shots.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Hello ijinagha,
    One day I hope to hear how that screen name is pronounced. But here's a suggestion for a big group. If possible, you should make rearrangements as you think is needed.

If we use your example of 30 subjects try this out:
    Use 9 chairs in your first row. Next, use 10 chairs in the second row but offset the row so that the people in the second row are sitting between the people in front of them. The last 11 should be standing as a third row. This gives you a very wide picture.

S S S S S S S S S S S
    xS S S S S S S S S S
    xxS S S S S S S S S

If you want less width then you must add more rows of people. By doing this
    configuration make sure you have sufficient depth of field so everybody is in focus front and back. Using the example above, remove 2 people from each row and have them either kneel or sit on the floor and they will be the first row:

S S S S S S S S S
    xS S S S S S S S
    xxS S S S S S S
    xxxS S S S S S

Something else to consider ~ let the elders and women sit, others will stand in back; most youthful should kneel or sit on the floor. Or highest rank should be in the center or sitting; lowest rank on the floor.

If sitting on the floor is not a good idea then maybe have them stand on chairs behind those already standing.

In any case, each person should have a full view of the camera and not be partially blocked.

Hope this has been helpful.
    Last edited by SC358; 14th Jul 2010 at 02:54. Reason: Added x as spacers to offset diagram. Please ignore x.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Great illustration man! I'll do a bit of that next time. I think it helps a lot!

Quote: SC358
    View Post
    Hello ijinagha,
    One day I hope to hear how that screen name is pronounced. But here's a suggestion for a big group. If possible, you should make rearrangements as you think is needed.

If we use your example of 30 subjects try this out:
    Use 9 chairs in your first row. Next, use 10 chairs in the second row but offset the row so that the people in the second row are sitting between the people in front of them. The last 11 should be standing as a third row. This gives you a very wide picture.

S S S S S S S S S S S
    xS S S S S S S S S S
    xxS S S S S S S S S

If you want less width then you must add more rows of people. By doing this
    configuration make sure you have sufficient depth of field so everybody is in focus front and back. Using the example above, remove 2 people from each row and have them either kneel or sit on the floor and they will be the first row:

S S S S S S S S S
    xS S S S S S S S
    xxS S S S S S S
    xxxS S S S S S

Something else to consider ~ let the elders and women sit, others will stand in back; most youthful should kneel or sit on the floor. Or highest rank should be in the center or sitting; lowest rank on the floor.

If sitting on the floor is not a good idea then maybe have them stand on chairs behind those already standing.

In any case, each person should have a full view of the camera and not be partially blocked.

Hope this has been helpful.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Great illustration man! I'll do a bit of that next time. I think it helps a lot!
    I'm glad you think so. As the photographer, one should take charge. People are willing to follow directions. Time should be taken to explain things and compose the picture. Little gestures in the picture really does adds some life (i.e. someone leaning on the next person or the person in the standing up with their hand on the shoulder of their loved one sitting in front of them, etc.)

Also... if you divide the subjects up the middle, people on the photographer's left side, should turn their body 3/4's inwards towards the center and the people on the right side of the photographer should turn the opposite way (inward towards the center) with faces pointing towards the camera. This way the people are not so broad shouldered and their eyes are not shifting while facing a different direction. Imo, shifting eyes are not becoming unless it's for some artistic effect.

These are just experiences and guidelines I'm just sharing. Use what you like and (most of all) interact with your subjects to feel relax and how important they are to the picture.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.