Blog Entries

Anyone used a Lenovo Thinkstation?

I'm considering the Lenovo Thinkstation D20 for my next PC. It includes X5680 Xeon CPU (3.33ghz, single or dual), 12G RAM (expandable to 192GB) & nVidia Quadro FX4800.

Has anyone used any of the Lenevo Thinkstations, especially for video work?

I was also considering the Dell Precision T7500 but even though I've had a good run with them myself, I'm not sure I want to risk that much money on a Dell.

Any other suggestions for a PC in this range would be welcome.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hey Dave,

First off - wow - brilliant spec - and 192gb???!!! Imagine that with DDR3!

In terms of the brand, I haven't used many Lenovo's in general, but my boss (computer shop) swears by them, so by all means choose that over the Dell.

Spec-wise, that looks good for video editing - fast processor, plenty of RAM, and a nice fast graphics card. Remember, I'm still editing on a dual-core 'gamer' processor, an 8800GTX, and 3GB (4 fitted but 32 bit :-( ) of RAM - and that's "coping" OK.

How much is this all going for?

By the way, check out a company called Cerise - they do 12 core workstations, and video editing is their 'market'.

James

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link. Although it doesn't look like they can ship here, they've got some good info that I'll peruse more later.

Good to hear a recommendation for Lenovo, thanks for that too. Because I don't really know much about them, any feedback is valuable.

The price is around $10,000 NZD which is about 5,600 EUR (excluding monitors and hard drives). It's a big purchase but I really want to step up to a decent workstation.

12GB RAM should be great but I'm considering even more. RAM is relatively cheap and I could probably afford up to 24GB. I dream about having Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects all open and working properly at the same time.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com