Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

LED or Traditional On-Camera Light?

Pag C6 Light or Litepanels LP Micro Light?

The Pag has more scope for different effects with the barn doors, but for my sort of shooting, I feel the Litepanel would be better - indoor events, particularly parties - think club scenarios with extremely low lighting.

Also the Litepanel would last longer - two sets of AA batteries should in theory give me 3 hours, but it doesn't say whether the 1.5 hours is on full brightness or the lowest.

Any advice? I know Pag is more respected in broadcast, but I've seen Litepanels used a lot more by videographers.

James

Hi James

Just pop onto Ebay and look for "126 LED video light" ..they outperform the LitePanel and are a fraction of the price. I get brilliant results!!! In your money you are probably looking around as little as 30 - 40 quid!!! I run mine on 6 xAA Mi Nh cells and they last a good hour or more but they can also run on camcorder batteries too!!!

Chris

Ah, I totally forgot about that! I've found the same one(s) on Amazon, which I personally prefer, so I'll have a looksie and probably get one ordered. It's basically the same as the LitePanel, right? Also, does it come with a hotshoe mount, and any gels?

Also, is the Pag better for my sort of work, or this?

Hey James
    The problem with any halogen lamp is that it eats batteries!!! I had a pair of 20W units with big 6v Sony Batteries and within 20 minutes they had died!!!
    They are also pretty much fixed at 3200K temperature so they don't mix well with flouros at all.

The panels that I have come with a diffusion filter (which I have on all the time) and a yellow filter (which I never use) I find that my camera adjusts pretty quickly in auto WB with the light at 5500K so I never bother with the filter.

Take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHg7gHhfFuA This was a mixed light room with the dance floor lights dimmed and the led panel does a nice job. As soon as I get to the reception, it goes onto the camera and hasn't failed me yet!!

I would most definately go the LED route!!!

Chris

Yeah I noticed the filters after I posted - sorry about that!

Is it possible to put both filters on at the same time? Or does the yellow filter act as both a diffuser and the colour change? The video you linked to (personally) looks a little too harsh, but I dunno. Still, anything has gotta be better than no light at all!!!

I've uploaded a video to YouTube of my first taste of ENG coverage with a bit of event coverage mixed in. Currently being processed by YT but should be ready today hopefully!!! I guess I can't really call it ENG since I was the only cameraman there (and people thought I was from the BBC - lol), but still, a politician that was once in the Cabinet is still pretty important!!!

James

Hey Chris

Just ordered myself a 160 bulb one with 12 batteries (2900 mah) and charger. Think I should be suitably covered for future dark places!

Light is coming in a day or two, but the batteries are gonna be just in time for Thursday which is when I could do with them for :-S

I don't do onboard lighting but if I were to get to it, LEDs it shall be.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

Nice to hear from you again!! With weddings you have no option!! The light has to be on the camera as half the time you are chasing people!! When I do things like the speeches I use a 4 x 50W CFL softbox which gives me a nice even, soft light. I'm sure that LED's will also replace these but at least they are better than halogens which give you an instant tan if you are too close. The CFL's run just luke warm so there is no heat issue. I switch to LED's when they become affordable but you can already buy 100W LED's as individual units now (James, that's equivalent of 10 of your 160 LED lights running at once!!!) They have a very impressive lumen output too!!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris, great to 'see' you guys too! Oh, I definitely agree on the part on 'people chasing'! The only on-board light that I've ever used was the Sony HVL-20DW2. Works for a long long time with a hi-cap batt and you can opt to turn on one or two lamps. I'll be working on purchasing LEDs on the next upgrade (and that's when I will give Sony the sack!)

Cheers!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore