Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

[Tip] Audio cutting out in Adobe Premiere Pro

I had this issue a little bit tonight - it occurs when you import an audio file into Adobe Premiere Pro, and only a portion of the audio plays.

I've tracked it down to the file being used by the user when it's being conformed - if you find yourself with an audio file that only plays part way (even though the waveform is correct), find where your audio file is in Windows Explorer (or Finder on Mac), and delete the cfa and pek file associated with the audio file. By default, these are next to the source files.

Reopen Premiere Pro and your project, and don't do anything until you have seen the conform procedure (in the bottom right) complete. This should solve your issue, and you'll have all the audio back!

James

Blog Entries
    Nice tip!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Cheers, it's probably only me that it's happened too, but just in case, it's there for anyone who searches.

Hi, this is hapening with me, I've found the audio file in 'my music' with the itunes icon on it, but I can't see anywhere about cfa or pek files. I assume I'm doing something wrong so how do I find those files to delete them?

OK, what version of Premiere are you using? Check in your project settings where the audio scratch disks are. If they're in your project folder (denoted by [Same as project]) then check where you saved your project file (.pproj). In here you should see the cfa or pek files, or a folder relating to previews, audio files, or caches. In one of these folders you'll find the cfa/pek files.

Also, I assume that this file is imported into iTunes, so make sure that you have fully closed iTunes down, and disconnect any iPods/iPhones/iDevices to ensure that the file isn't being used. It might help to restart your computer too.

James

I'm using Premiere Elements 8. I think I've found the files now in my 'preview files' folder and there's about 20 of them, should I delete them all?

As long as they're cfa and/or pek files, sure. However, be careful because some of them are likely to be render preview files, where you've added effects to your videos.

To help you, you could show file extensions. This site has a small tutorial on doing so: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html just remember to switch extensions back off otherwise when you want to rename something innocently, you could corrupt the file by giving it no extension.

I deleted them all before I read that haha, but it's worked so thanks a lot. The original video is here if you were interested:

http://video.mpora.com/watch/gd2HcuZ81/

I had to change the song for copyright reasons so thanks again for your help.