Wedding Video Questions

Hi
    I have a question about the legal use of audio on wedding videos.
    Firstly I know there are plenty of royalty free cd's available to use on such videos but what if a client asks if they can have certain popular music tracks on their video, I assume this remains illegal unless royalties were paid and obviously prohibitively expensive!
    Also are there any legal requirements to have any kind of music licence such as PPL for example?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    I looked this up a while back when I did a wedding for my aunt:

http://www.wvrl.co.uk/ should be all you need.

James

We have the same sort of system with around the same cost which is great!! In the USA they have nothing so most videographers there have to "take a chance"

Our APRA system here also allows videographers to buy an annual licence for all your weddings within a year for around $500 or single events for $50...basically if you do more the 10 a year the annual option is better!!

The average UK wedding will be under 25 pounds for a normal wedding which is really very little to pay and that's easy enough to build into the package cost too!!!

Chris

In the UK you need two separate licences; a LM Licence (Limited Manufacture Licence)
    and a PFVD (Private Function Video Dubbing Licence) if you will record or add commercial recorded music

They are issued by MCPS & PPL respectively and cost 4.25 & 3.40 (plus VAT) total 8.99
    Details can be found on the Performing Rights Society (PRSForMusic) site, or the Institute Of Videography.
    Last edited by GeoKil; 16th Jul 2010 at 11:44.

Many Thanks

thanks for the replies guys that's a big help and much cheaper than I thought!

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    @GeoKil - would the license sourced from the link I provided not cover the licenses you listed? If so then I guess the one I linked to could be false advertising potentially, since it makes out as though it's all you need.

James

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    @GeoKil - would the license sourced from the link I provided not cover the licenses you listed? If so then I guess the one I linked to could be false advertising potentially, since it makes out as though it's all you need.

James
    The licences that I've mentioned are those issued by the Performing Rights Society, the company in UK that is authorised to oversee the collection and distribution of copyright fees on behalf of music producers and publishers; set up by all the major record companies. These licences cover virtually all commercially available music.
    The company that you have linked to promotes itself to wedding videographers as a source of these licences and acts as a commercial agent and adds their own charge, hence the higher cost. You'll see that they refer to the PPL and MCPS, both now part of PRSforMusic. Their main advantage is that they apply on your behalf as they know where and how to obtain the licence whereas most armatures and occasional videographers don't.